Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Anyone knows AECOM?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2009

Anyone knows AECOM?

Hi planners,

I am finishing my first year of MUP, with one more year to go. A few weeks ago, I got a message from an HR of AECOM's Shanghai office on LinkedIn. She invited me to an interview with one of their division head. I didn't know much about AECOM, but I am very interested in the position they are hiring - transportation economics, which is exactly my concentration at school. So I accepted the invitation and interviewed with the division head. The interview went pretty well - although I told him upfront that I am graduating next year, he was still interested in talking to me and introduced their businesses in details. And he encouraged me to contact him when I graduate.

Although what he described seem very appealing, I want to know more about the company and the division "economics". It would be even better if anyone knows their offices in China. Insider's information like their working environment, career path in the company or career paths of their 'alumni', salary and compensation, etc. are very welcome. Or anyone who worked on projects with them, would you please say something about it??

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by amivita View post
    Hi planners,

I am finishing my first year of MUP, with one more year to go. A few weeks ago, I got a message from an HR of AECOM's Shanghai office on LinkedIn. She invited me to an interview with one of their division head. I didn't know much about AECOM, but I am very interested in the position they are hiring - transportation economics, which is exactly my concentration at school. So I accepted the invitation and interviewed with the division head. The interview went pretty well - although I told him upfront that I am graduating next year, he was still interested in talking to me and introduced their businesses in details. And he encouraged me to contact him when I graduate.

Although what he described seem very appealing, I want to know more about the company and the division "economics". It would be even better if anyone knows their offices in China. Insider's information like their working environment, career path in the company or career paths of their 'alumni', salary and compensation, etc. are very welcome. Or anyone who worked on projects with them, would you please say something about it??
    Much more important is knowing the current job market and the rarity of folks having jobs when they graduate - thus the importance of keeping this channel open. Wide open.

Registered
    Nov 2008
    AECOM is a massive international A/E/C plus a whole slew of other stuff (including "security consulting" in the Middle and Near East). They've been buying up all sorts of smaller firms in the last few years, most notable for planners perhaps was their aquisition of EDAW a few years back. I've talked to somebody who was with EDAW and is now still with AECOM. He said he liked it better when he ws with EDAW but that AECOM overall wasn't a bad company to work for. I don't know about their economics division. I would try to see who the economics division was before it was absorbed by the Borg.
    You can grow ideas in the garden of your mind.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2008
    A chunk of the economics division was ERA who was a pretty well known when it came to higher end economic development and real estate consulting. Not sure if AECOM gobbled up some other economic firms as well.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2008
    Congratulations on the job lead. They are not easy to come by these days, both domestically and internationally.

Keep in mind though that many of these big private engineering/planning/architecture firms (along with many others) often put out HR feelers probing for potential talent even though they don't actually have a position available. They just want to see what is floating around in the wilderness and log it for possible future reference.

Still, you spoke to a director, so that is a bonus.

All the best, Shanghai is a fun city to live in .

I would have serious reservations about working at AECOM, after reading their reviews on GlassDoor.com (http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/AEC...iews-E5632.htm)

I realize the reviews may be biased by digruntled employees, but almost every one of those reviews has the same thread running through them: detached, top-heavy leadership, too much emphasis on growth by acquisition, high turnover.

+ Reply to thread