Urban planning community

Poll results: Which of these languages do you speak?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • English

19 65.52%
  • Spanish

9 31.03%
  • Portugese

1 3.45%
  • French

4 13.79%
  • German

6 20.69%
  • Japanese

1 3.45%
  • Mandarin

2 6.90%
  • Cantonese

1 3.45%
  • Urdu

0 0%
  • Arabic

0 0%
  • Swahili

2 6.90%
  • Russian

0 0%
  • Dutch

0 0%
  • Greek

0 0%
  • Italian

1 3.45%
  • Thai

0 0%
  • Vietnamese

0 0%
  • Native American/Hawaiian language

1 3.45%
  • Chamorran or other US territorial language

0 0%
  • Other

7 24.14%
Multiple choice poll
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which foreign languages do you speak?

Registered
    Nov 2009

Which foreign languages do you speak?

The thread title says it all!
    Which foreign languages do you speak?

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Spanish and a bit of Japanese for me.

I never had any lessons in Japanese but I lived there for just over a year and was able to pick it up pretty quickly. That was about a decade ago but I'd like to go back and see how much I could still recall. I was never able to really pick up reading it though except for menus, bus schedules, and very basic advertisements.

When I was in Italy for 3 months (we were only scheduled to be there for a long weekend but the ship the Navy was using to drag us around the Mediterranean actually broke down coming into port) I was surprised with how well I could get around with my Spanish - especially reading things like road signs and train schedules and talking to folks in restaurants and the conductors on the trains.

I'd like to teach myself Korean because I've heard it's one of the easier written languages to learn because the shapes of the letters/words are supposed to roughly correspond to the shape your mouth makes when you speak them. And that always sounded interesting to me.

In the end though, I've been all around the world to many many countries and the universal language isn't Esperanto... in fact it's money. If I have some and you have a product or service that I want and you want my money, we will quickly find a way to come to an agreement (although me being able to say a few basic words like, "Hello", "How much?" and count to 10 goes a long way too).

(edit: I guess I don't speak English since I forgot to vote for that one)
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2005
    English is my primary.

Took French in high school and college.

Took Swahili in college. I'd like to use Swahili more often. Whenever I meet someone from Kenya I assault them with my rudimentary ramblings. Hello! How are you? Good! I would like something to drink. Seven! Cow! Teacher! Thank you very much.

And I can swear in German and Italian.

I'm thinking I should start learning Mandarin.

Sadly I don't have the ear/aptitude for language.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Swahili? Hujambo to the cyburbian who speaks that tongue. I only know a little bit and it has been ages since I have been able to use what I have learned with anyone.

MW and I are considering learning Spanish. So far, I have picked up Mi papa dolce poco!

Edit: Looks like I was too slow! Hujambo Dandy!
    Edit2: I too should be learning Mandarin. I actually know a fair amount - enough to be polite anyway.
    Last edited by TerraSapient; 23 May 2011 at 2:31 PM.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Despite having taken Spanish throughout elementary school, high school, and then 3 semesters in college, I really only speak English. I can read Spanish - and by "read" I mean "get the vague idea of what's being said". Something is seriously wrong with our foreign language education system, because I've found my results to be typical of my peers. In the meantime, folks purchase Rosetta Stone and pick up the language almost to the point of fluency in a year.

Anywho, while I only speak one language, my wife speaks Hebrew and German in addition to English. She's a little rusty at each, but if surrounded by folks can pick it back up in a relatively short period of time. She took German throughout high school and college, but then also minored in Judaic studies, which required Hebrew study. She keeps many books in each language. She is a fan of foreign language learning, period, and has plans to learn Arabic and Tagalog out of personal interest (she's Filipina but was born and raised here 15 years after her mother emigrated and her mom didn't teach my wife or her siblings their native tongue) and Spanish out of necessity/obligation (she's a social worker and it would come in very handy in this part of the country). She's also expressed interest in learning Russian, Mandarin, and some Native American languages like Cherokee and Kiowa, but doesn't bring those up near as much.

Had I not CLEP'd out of the first semester of Spanish in college, I would have taken either Portuguese or Kiowa. As it stood, however, my poor Spanish education from primary and secondary school stuck with me just enough to prevent doing so...

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    Mi papa dolce poco!
    Can be translated in sooo many ways:

My potato sweet a little?
    M dad sweet a little?

I only know spanish (speak/read/write). Although I want to learn German for the sake of mrs. CPSUraf
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Studied German in high school. At this point I probably know enough to tell another German I have no idea what they are saying
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by HomerJ9139 View post
    Studied German in high school. At this point I probably know enough to tell another German I have no idea what they are saying
    To which they probably responded in fluent English.

I took French in middle school and remember some words and have a vague understanding of it in the written form, but not so much in the spoken form.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    Despite having taken Spanish throughout elementary school, high school, and then 3 semesters in college, I really only speak English. I can read Spanish - and by "read" I mean "get the vague idea of what's being said". Something is seriously wrong with our foreign language education system, because I've found my results to be typical of my peers.
    I had about the same amount of training in Spanish as it sounds like you had and used to feel the same way about my abilities until I was actually plopped down in Spain for a few weeks and it all came rushing back to me. By the end of my time there I had no trouble reading, writing, listening, conversing, etc. I think once you are actually in a place where you get to utilize it, you can surprise yourself by how much you can recall.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Can be translated in sooo many ways:

My potato sweet a little?
    M dad sweet a little?

I only know spanish (speak/read/write). Although I want to learn German for the sake of mrs. CPSUraf
    My little sweet potato!

I'm not sure why, but I find that terribly adorable. Is there a better way to say that?

Registered
    Mar 2004

Well......

I know a guy that knows a guy that can speak English, does this count?

What the other T.O. said and what Dandy said.......

I may get serious about learning another language some day.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Feb 2002
    I took Spanish in high school, and German in college. There is something like 16 different ways to say THE, depending on if what it was referring to was a direct or indirect object, masculine/feminine, etc. I have a hard time figuring out a direct or indirect object in English, so German was tough.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Latin and a little Spanish (donde esta shampoo?)

and of course, ubbidubbi

and Steve Martin French - as in: I would like to go to ze otel...
    Last edited by luckless pedestrian; 23 May 2011 at 3:22 PM. Reason: omellette du frommage

Registered
    Jun 2009
    English, Canadian, Pirate, and Pig Latin I am all fluent in.

I am fairly fluent in French having studied it for 6 years and travelling in Quebec. Somewhat proficient in Spanish having studied it for a few years in school, watching a lot of Spanish language movies, and also living in Panama for about 6 months and working in many restaurant kitchens!

I know a wee bit of German and Italian, also, mostly based on the number of foreign movies I've watched in those languages. I watch a lot of foreign films.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Fluent in Gibberish
    Looking for Sanity
    In this Crazy Land Of Ours

Registered
    Nov 2006
    I used to be decently fluent in French and studied Spanish in college. However, nearly forty years of not using it has wiped out my limited speaking ability in both. I think I can read some still, if armed with a good dictionary. I can also fudge reading a little Italian and Portuguese, but languages are something that are "use it or lose it", especially if you're a non-native speaker. You learn to speak them best when you're immersed in them.

I have been considering investing in Rosetta Stone to learn Italian. Has anybody had success with it?

Registered
    May 2005
    I only speak English, because I don't hate America.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2005
    Ninafurahi watu wengine wanasema Kiswahili pia! I don't get much opportunity here in the desert southwest, but I try to keep my chops up. I speak a little Spanish, but I really need a refresher. My father grew up in Venezuela but never spoke Spanish at home (though he would occasionally listen to Spanish language radio and TV). Took it in HS, but that's been a while. I can understand more than I can speak.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yeah......

Quote Originally posted by craines View post
    Fluent in Gibberish
    But not authentic FRONTIER gibberish

translated:

Bahhh nuthicafron gleeb.....ahh....

I'm pretty sure Brocktoon can speak fluent Klingon, but only when he needs to sneak through their space.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Spanish, though I have a hard time explaining economic or urban policy. If the subject is scandal, then I can understand every word.

Registered
    Aug 1997
    I know spanish. Just don't use it very often. My wife and I have been teaching the toddlers American Sign Language.

What, no constructed languages? Klingon? Esperanto?
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff View post
    I know spanish. Just don't use it very often. My wife and I have been teaching the toddlers American Sign Language.

ASL! I wish I would have included that in the poll!

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff View post

I think this was posted elsewhere in this forum some time ago, but there is a family whose father spoke only Klingon to their kid for his first 3 years. I don't know why he stopped. Failure to keep the Klingon ways is a one-way ticket to Gre'Thor!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I am decent at conversational Spanish, I can read it quite well and understand 90% of a native speaker's conversation/tv/movie.

I can swear in a number of South Asian languages which is a necessity as a woman traveling around Let's just say that the curses there are quite creative and somewhat of an art.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    ASL! I wish I would have included that in the poll!
    Well, you did say "foreign" languages, and because it is an American language, it technically doesn't count as "foreign". But casually, Americans generally mean "foreign language" to include anything other than the US version of the english language, so you probably could have.

Of course, you probably could have include planner-speak, lawyer-speak, engineer-speak, doctor-speak, and other jargons, too. Or, is that a different thread?
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Do you speak Pop Culture?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 27 Mar 2012, 1:18 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 26 Apr 2011, 11:35 AM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last post: 14 Mar 2011, 1:33 PM