Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: An urban planning related job with sociology BA?

An urban planning related job with sociology BA?

Hello,

I am hoping to be accepted to the University of Melbourne's urban planning program in July 2012, but in the mean time I'd like to find a job where I can gain knowledge and experience of the urban planning field. I've searched around on government websites, job-search websites, and local company websites but haven't been able to find anything where my sociology degree would even help me. I've also been to my university's career center and they were next to no help (I go to UCSD, which has its own urban planning dept, yet the adviser barely knew what planning entails.) Can anyone give me any pointers as to what specific positions I should be looking for, considering my limited knowledge of planning?

Thank you in advance!

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by TheInternational View post

I am hoping to be accepted to the University of Melbourne's urban planning program in July 2012, but in the mean time I'd like to find a job where I can gain knowledge and experience of the urban planning field. I've searched around on government websites, job-search websites, and local company websites but haven't been able to find anything where my sociology degree would even help me.
    As you continue to peruse this and other boards, you will find a plethora of planning grads unable to find jobs, so if you find one or an internship before you begin your studies, you may want to think about obtaining a patent on your method of obtaining employment in this field, and going into business with this idea.

Quote Originally posted by ColoGI View post
    As you continue to peruse this and other boards, you will find a plethora of planning grads unable to find jobs, so if you find one or an internship before you begin your studies, you may want to think about obtaining a patent on your method of obtaining employment in this field, and going into business with this idea.
    Excellent advice, thank you! And luckily I have already been able to undertake a planning-related internship.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by TheInternational View post
    Can anyone give me any pointers as to what specific positions I should be looking for, considering my limited knowledge of planning?
    Well.. what the heck do you want to do when you study "planning". Better yet, what the heck do you want to do with your degree. Start there.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Urban planning related work in Hawaii
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 09 Mar 2013, 12:40 AM
  2. Sociology vs planning
    Student Commons
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 27 Feb 2010, 10:53 AM
  3. Replies: 1