Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Questions for a urban planner in California?

Questions for a urban planner in California?

Hello there, I am doing a paper/career shadow on being an urban planner. I need one more interviewee either in a private firm or in public sector, and it has to be one based in California. If anyone on here who works in California could take the time to answer these questions, it would be most appreciated. I also would need your name and the entity you work for, so for privacy reasons you could always PM me the answers. Thanks!

1) What was your educational background?

2) What made you want to become a urban planner?

3) What is the biggest obstacle you encounter in getting a project seen through?

4) What do you like most about being a planner, and what do you like the least?

5) What do you think are the most important skills to have as a urban planner?

6) From start to finish, what is the process in working on a project?

7) What are most important factors in deciding a project is viable or not?

8) What trends do you see happening in urban planning in the next decade?

9) What is the most important advice you would have for a prospective future urban planner?

Thanks again!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    Welcome to Cyburbia! Just a note: new users don't have PM access. Message board netiquette also frowns upon off-list replies unless they're some element of privacy that needs to be respected. You might want to post an email address where you can be reached, but in a munged form; e.g. cyburbia (dot) forums (at) cyburbia (another dot) org.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by theonlyone View post
    Hello there, I am doing a paper/career shadow on being an urban planner. I need one more interviewee either in a private firm or in public sector, and it has to be one based in California. If anyone on here who works in California could take the time to answer these questions, it would be most appreciated. I also would need your name and the entity you work for, so for privacy reasons you could always PM me the answers. Thanks!

1) What was your educational background?

2) What made you want to become a urban planner?

3) What is the biggest obstacle you encounter in getting a project seen through?

4) What do you like most about being a planner, and what do you like the least?

5) What do you think are the most important skills to have as a urban planner?

6) From start to finish, what is the process in working on a project?

7) What are most important factors in deciding a project is viable or not?

8) What trends do you see happening in urban planning in the next decade?

9) What is the most important advice you would have for a prospective future urban planner?

Thanks again!
    Based on your location you have a ton of private firms as well as a few municipalities to choose from. Have you thought about picking up a phone and setting a meeting with someone to talk about these and making a "true" career connection? This is 10x better than a date in cyberspace.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Based on your location you have a ton of private firms as well as a few municipalities to choose from. Have you thought about picking up a phone and setting a meeting with someone to talk about these and making a "true" career connection? This is 10x better than a date in cyberspace.
    I have actually already done that, and got a couple of interviews and a internship out of it. In writing my paper though, I realize I do not have enough material to meet the page requirements, so I need one more interview and the paper is due Friday. If it was not for the short time I have left, I would find another in person interview.

Well here is my email address:

cyburbia scottdfretwell forums @ cyburbia gmail.com org.

Can a moderator edit out my email address please? I turned in my project. Thanks

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 25 Apr 2011, 8:08 PM
  2. California Planner
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 24 Aug 2008, 7:01 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 09 Sep 2005, 3:32 PM
  4. Planner in California
    Introduce Yourself