Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Sign spinning mannequins: the newest headache for sign code administrators?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Sign spinning mannequins: the newest headache for sign code administrators?

You've probably seen sign spinners before; those obnoxious folks who have turned carrying advertising signs on street corners into performance art.

Well, I found this on cockeyed.com while searching for the names various temporary attention-getting devices go by.

Yup. A robotic sign spinner.

The back end.

Have you encountered anything like this in the wild? How would your city or town address it?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    No I haven't. What they come up with next.
    Street corner sign people here are not into performance art - they usually look bored and tired.
    I will share these links. Gut feel we won't like them at all
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    If it is a person, they have a right to stand and hold whatever they like.

If it is a machine, they have to meet our sign code setbacks and signage requirements.

It is that simple as far as I am concerned. If I could stomp on peoples rights when they take a job to spin a sign on the corner I would - but our legal council says I will lose that battle....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2007
    That mannequin is hilarious yet slightly creepy.

Once in a great while you see the folks here in metro Detroit holding signs on street corners (usually advertising store liquidations or condos for sale) but I don't think the trend really caught on here like it did in other areas. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not complaining.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Dec 2010
    We consider them moving signs, which we consider illegal. They are a nuisance where I work. It's an added nuisance telling the 16 yr old holding the sign to pack it up, only to see him out in the same spot the very next day
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    We've been told that as long as the person on the right-of-way is not blocking access to property and not hindering traffic it is freedom of speech for whatever their sign may say and we cannot remove them. We have one girl who was hired just for the purpose of waving the "We Buy Gold" sign, well she has been a fan favorite of motorist along this particular state highway. I will try and get a video of her as she is easy on the eyes and not only walks up and down the sidewalk but has incorporated a dance into her repertoire, makes me wonder what she's listening to on her iPod. Being outside 6-8 hours a day has given this young woman a very nice tan.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Once in a great while you see the folks here in metro Detroit holding signs on street corners (usually advertising store liquidations or condos for sale) but I don't think the trend really caught on here like it did in other areas. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not complaining.
    I saw a spinner once in Buffalo, but usually it's homeless guys that just hold up signs on streetcorners. Buffalo's suburbs don't remove snipe signs, so even the homeless guys are uncommon; 30 EVERYTHING MUST GO! signs in a row along a major thoroughfare will last weeks.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Interesting Sign Code example
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 04 Oct 2011, 4:16 PM
  2. Sign code dilemma
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 26 Jun 2007, 12:32 PM
  3. Signs / billboards Sign Code revision
    Land Use and Zoning