Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: This American Life and the economic development profession

Registered
    Jun 2005

This American Life and the economic development profession

Did anyone else listen to this episode? The focus is on the alchemy job creation and on the economic development field, and the hosts take a trip to an IEDC conference.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/play...=435&podcast=1

Thoughts? My take is that while they were a little hard on the field, the lack of reliable metrics and the zero-sum job poaching that takes place between localities are real issues. It is nice, however, to hear this stuff discussed by a mainstream media program for once.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by MacheteJames View post
    Did anyone else listen to this episode? The focus is on the alchemy job creation and on the economic development field, and the hosts take a trip to an IEDC conference.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/play...=435&podcast=1

Thoughts? My take is that while they were a little hard on the field, the lack of reliable metrics and the zero-sum job poaching that takes place between localities are real issues. It is nice, however, to hear this stuff discussed by a mainstream media program for once.
    I'm definately going to listen to this episode. I love the way TAL looks at topics from often very different perspectives.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I love being referred to as a "collegial pick pocket." If I were a member of IEDC I would be rather pissed at this report. Overall, I thought it got many things right but missed major parts of what most economic development offices do, specificly redevelopment, retention and expansion, and workforce development. TAL only touched on entrepreneurial development and butchered the economic gardening concept.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I partly agree with Brocktoon's assessment. There is good economic development, particularly when it comes to entrepreneurship, economic gardening, and redevelopment. But even these are plagued by bad examples. When it comes to recruitment and even retention, the picture gets uglier. TAL does get it wrong, though, when it says that ED only relocates jobs. Most of the "assisted" projects are not relocations, but expansions of an existing business. True relocations - a business picking up from one community or state and moving to another - are the smallest part of the pie. But after years in the profession, I would have to conclude that most incentives are not necessary and probably do more harm to the overall economy than they do any good. As much as possible, I try to steer communities to the realization that the best thing they can do is to create the right environment in which businesses they desire can prosper, and to create competitive advantage in doing so. Incentives should be considered very carefully, and be based on both need and true benefit to the community.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Apr 2006
    It turns out IEDC was upset and here is NPR's response to Mr. Finkle's strongly worded letter:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/ombudsman/2...mic-developers

IEDC has to be one of the most inept organizations around.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Jun 2013, 11:50 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 19 Dec 2011, 9:34 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 22 Feb 2010, 9:47 AM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last post: 24 Feb 2006, 4:47 PM