Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Judging a Book by the Cover (Literally)

Registered
    Feb 2004

Judging a Book by the Cover (Literally)

The old adage ‘you can’t judge a book by the cover’ is of course intended to address situations actually beyond the scope of books. This being, however, the FAC we’re expected to blithely ignore this fact and proceed directly to the business of extracting any humor, irony (or I suppose even wisdom – but that only incidently) something has to offer.

Taking the words on their face, CAN you judge a book by the cover? In many cases no but I say in some instances most definitely. Planners tend to have above average pattern recognition skills. Lets put those skills to work….would anyone who has never so much as opened the cover care to provide us insight into the contents of the following books based on nothing more than the cover?

I don’t know about you but I could practically write a review of some of these fine literary works (some of which are actually best sellers) with no more information than you see here - could you?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    5. ...
    Hey, they misspelled your name on this one!

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Now that is LOL good.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    No they didn't, my nom de plume is spelled that way. By the way you really should read this book some time if you get the chance, it's got a little bit of everytyhing in it: drama, pathos, gestalt, verve, panache, schwerpunkt...you name it!

For a mere $35 I'd be willing to send you a signed hardcover copy!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    For a mere $35 I'd be willing to send you a signed hardcover copy!
    The Discount Rate, for special friends. Snap it up.

Why would anyone read a bio about Victoria Beckham, no matter how provocative the title might me. She's not even the best looking of the Spice Girls. Plus, her life isn't even half over yet. I've always thought it was silly that people write biographies of people who still have plenty of life left. It's like this is all they are going to accomplish.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Chick lit all seem to share a certain type of look. If I see a book with a pink or other pastel cover, especially with Shag-style comic art, it's definitely stereotypical "sassy" chick lit.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Chick lit all seem to share a certain type of look. If I see a book with a pink or other pastel cover, especially with Shag-style comic art, it's definitely stereotypical "sassy" chick lit.
    Chick lit is very funny. You guys could definitely lower your cholesteral and stress levels by reading it. Remember Art Buchwald? Comedy for health?

Many men read "chick lit" like Janet Evanovich because it's laugh out loud funny (who wouldn't love Lula and Grandma Mazur?...). Many men have an issue, accepting a woman as the protagonist in a novel, though.

Some single men might connect better with single women if they read a few of the well known novels. Just a thought. It doesn't make you "feminine". Just like reading Tom Clancy and Clive Cussler didn't make me manly.

And BTW, most decent chick lit covers are not all pinky. I read a book a day sometimes and I've never picked up one that's all pinky. The good ones have minimal art and the author's name which is all you need to drag us in. Pinky must mean a minor print.

What, if the cover's black, only men can buy it?
    Last edited by Zoning Goddess; 21 Jan 2008 at 8:40 PM. Reason: sexist stuff

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Many men read "chick lit" like Janet Evanovich because it's laugh out loud funny (who wouldn't love Lula and Grandma Mazur?...). Many men have an issue, accepting a woman as the protagonist in a novel, though.
    Love Janet Evanovich...the Stephanie Plum series is priceless. Actually, Janet E. is a cut above some of the others (Nora Roberts/J. D. Robb is just plain reprehensible), but even some of her stuff is a little too lite (the Alexandra Bartleby/MotorMouth stuff is just fluff). However, I wait with impatience for each new Plum novel...what will 14 be called?

I got no problem with a woman as the protagonist.
    SOME say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I’ve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

Robert Frost (1874–1963) (From Harper’s Magazine, December 1920.)

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post

Some single men might connect better with single women if they read a few of the well known novels. Just a thought. It doesn't make you "feminine". Just like reading Tom Clancy and Clive Cussler didn't make me manly.
    I love Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books. Her other stuff, which I understand is her earlier works that are being reissued to capitalize on her current fame, is really weak.

As for reading Clive Cussler, be careful. It may not make you manly, but it can make you an idiot. That guy cannot write worth beans.We can only hope that Dirk Pitt drowns soon.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Don't let the tawdry, garrish cover fool you, here's one you KNOW is going to be fine literature.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    If you truly judged a book by the cover, then I could argue that there is no such thing as good science fiction or fantasy.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2006
    You can't judge an apple by looking at a tree,
    You can't judge honey by looking at the bee,
    You can't judge a daughter by looking at the mother,
    You can't judge a book by looking at the cover.

Willie Dixon - 1962
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Anyone know what this is about?

I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by stroskey View post
    Anyone know what this is about?

I don't know. What does "avoid" mean?

This has me confused.

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    This has me confused.

Were I drinking water when I saw this, I would have most certainly sprayed my computer.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by HomerJ9139 View post
    Were I drinking water when I saw this, I would have most certainly sprayed my computer.
    Drink up, son.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 22 Oct 2011, 11:47 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 19 Mar 2007, 9:42 PM
  3. Judge a Book By the Cover #4
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 27 Oct 2006, 4:08 PM
  4. Replies: 21
    Last post: 25 Oct 2006, 8:47 PM