Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Politics of Facebook

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    Hmmm... my FB friends seem to fall into six categories similar to Salmissra's: friends from friends from grad school (biggest group), childhood/middle/prep school (second biggest group), friends from college, people I've met randomly in real life, co-workers/former co-workers, and a very small number of relatives. The first four groups have a great deal of overlap.. for some reason I tend to bump into the same people over and over again in life....

I have never defriended anyone. I've been defriended twice.. both by childhood acquaintances I long-since lost touch with, whom I suspect just wanted to check out what I've been up to.

FB used to have some good network visualization tools for friends, so that you can graphically see how your network breaks down, but most of them have stopped working.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    If you are on FB, Is right or wrong to be friends with any of your co workers ?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    I don't know if it's right or wrong. A couple of my coworkers sent me friend requests, but I don't send requests to coworkers.

I do not,especially my staff.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I'm the boss. No way.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I'm not on FB or any other social media, but I'd say no to coworkers as online friends, followers, etc. Then again, aside from a couple of team outings per year, I generally don't socialize with my coworkers outside of office hours, either - I prefer a distinct work/life split.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jun 2011
    A few have added me, but I don't go out of my way looking for them. A Planning Board member added me maybe 2 weeks ago. I said no to that one.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I used to be adamantly opposed, but have softened on that. If they send me a request, I'll accept. I softened up on it because I hired somebody that I was already friends with.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I pretty much accept anyone, but then I never post anything on my The Facebook. I just got an email telling me I have 39 notifications. Meh.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I am FB friends with one of my coworkers, but we've known each other for 10 years. Other than her, I will not accept a request from anyone in this office. My director, assistant director, and I all decided against being FB friends even though we spend a fair amount of time socializing outside of work. We settled on LinkedIn.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Linked in and maybe Twitter for co-workers.

I am transitioning away from FB, but I still have family that is very active on it and want to see pictures of the kids, so I have it set up that if I post something on Twitter or Instagram, it automatically posts on my FB page. I will then go and check the comments and stuff if I get a chance, but for me it is not a priority.
    The most foolish thing one can do this fall is to vote for Clinton or Trump. Wake up, get out of the matrix, and send a message to the political establishment that you won't play their game.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Fast forward five years, and I am now FB friends with all my co-workers. I work on the dark side in the private sector though, so I have less to worry about. It started like three years ago when a couple co-workers and the CEO and SVP (both of whom I directly work for) friend-requested me. I cleaned up my FB even more and opened the floodgates to all my co-workers and now I'm the one friending new people and the like.

My Facebook is a far cry from what it was in college though. It's mostly pictures, videos, and statuses involving family, friends, and co-workers. I also find myself going on there and liking or commenting on other people's stuff more than posting crap. I only post status updates if I'm doing something special or some big event happens in the world. I try to always be positive now too. Facebook is not a public diary or a place to project all your feelings.

I also like following local businesses, my favorite rock stars, sports teams, radio stations, media outlets, and the like...Facebook very much serves as a place to find out about what's going on in the world these days and to be entertained for 10 or 20 minutes at a time.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    I'm friends with a few of my co-workers on FB, but I don't supervise anyone. I think if I did, it would be different. One of the engineers in our county also friended me. I felt a little weird about that, but I don't comment on anything he does or says. I'm VERY careful not to post anything negative about work or government in general. My one exception is my strong distaste for Donald Trump, and that's mostly just reposting articles on occasion.

I also don't put really personal stuff on there. Just funny stuff that happens or cute photos of my dogs or home/baking projects that I'm proud of. I don't even list my county as my employer - just my department.

It's actually helpful from time-to-time. We've had a few Facebook controversies where people WERE posting very strong opinions about local elected officials and my boss asked me to look them up to see what was going on. Haha.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I think co workers are okay if you are friendly at work - I have mine on a restricted list, so they only see what I post with the little globe on it

on another note, regarding politics or just irritation, I unfollow people - much less violent than unfriending as they don't know you are not seeing their posts on your newsfeed

I only block 2 people - former co workers who were truly horrible people

the tough ones are residents that want to friend me and they are pretty much all on a restricted list

Registered
    May 2006
    The way I see it:

LinkedIn is for Co workers, professionels, people you respect as colleagues who you want to network with and present a positive image to.

Facebook is for your homies that you'd blaze a fatty with.

Maister and Luckless can I add you in LinkedIn?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

NOPE!

NO WAY NO HOW!!

A prime directive for The One = DO NOT FRIEND current coworkers on Facebook. (emphasis on the period)
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by The Terminator View post
    Maister and Luckless can I add you in LinkedIn?
    Sure.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I don't friend current co-workers on FB, but will friend past ones if we got along well. Now that I'm working at a former employer, a lot of "former" coworkers are now coworkers again, so I will probably restrict them a bit. I don't post anything controversial or personal anyhow, and don't complain about work on there so it should be fine if I don't. I mostly use it to keep in touch with family/share pictures of the kids and to easily contact groups of friends all at once.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. New Cyburbia Facebook group
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 06 Oct 2011, 11:10 AM
  2. Replies: 45
    Last post: 03 Aug 2011, 10:20 AM
  3. Facebook city games
    Make No Small Plans