Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Young potential planner-- how did you know planning was for you?

Young potential planner-- how did you know planning was for you?

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting in this forum so I apologize if this is not the right place.

This summer I am taking classes at my school, UVA undergrad, and working part-time, and I have been taunted by what I want to do after graduation. I am majoring in American Studies and minoring in Urban and Environmental Planning. I have a good overall gpa and my best grades have been in my planning classes. This summer I had trouble finding internships because my major is so broad that it was hard to explain what I was studying and what Urban Planning had to do with it. (I definitely can explain how I've linked the two but to employers it didn't seem satisfactory). Throughout college I believed that my "dream career" would just come to me, but as graduation is getting closer (I just finished my third year) I have realized that what is important to me is having a guaranteed job in a field that I enjoy. I can definitely see myself working for housing authorities, a local government, or a non-profit in the planning field. Yet, after my internship woes, I've realized a graduate degree is necessary for a position in urban planning.

Basically, I am...for lack of a better word...scared that I am already thinking about grad school. I am only 20 (I skipped a grade) so I know that I am very young. I just don't know if I should go ahead and pursue a grad degree in planning or if I should wait? Money is an issue for me, so the sooner I can get a paying job the better. Just with my undergrad major, I do not think that I can get a job straight out of bachelors. So I'm kind of asking opinions from those with experience...how you knew you wanted to go into planning...when...and how you did it

Thanks!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I am not one of those people who lives, eats and breathes PLANNING. Hardly.

I got interested in the profession while being an interested citizen in a Superfund project. I met a few planners. I liked what they were doing. Thought it was a job that might fit well with my interests at the time. I was looking to get out of a series of dead-end low-wage jobs.

So I took my GRE, got into grad school and got a job in planning. Been doing it for 12 years. I like it most days.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Natalieuva,

You posted the same question in multiple forums. I am sure a mod will take all the responses and put them together, but we are pretty good at finding threads if we have something to add. No need to post the same thread multiple times.

Again welcome
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Thanks Hink_Planner...I am way too new to forums and liked my second title better, thinking I could delete the first post. I was wrong, sorry I'm not trying to spam! As for my response it will be on the other thread

BANNED
    Registered
    Dec 2011
    I first took an interest in planning when I got the idea to turn those Planned Parenthood death camps and disease spreading night clubs into young republican community centers.

Moderator note:

Welcome back, Starring_Emma...

Click image for larger version

Name:	itsnevergoingtoendisitia9.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	4865

Trolling... again...

Banned... again...

SR

Last edited by Suburb Repairman; 20 Dec 2011 at 9:47 AM.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    IThought it was a job that might fit well with my interests at the time. I was looking to get out of a series of dead-end low-wage jobs.

... got into grad school and got a job in planning. Been doing it for ___ years. I like it most days.
    What he said - mine were seasonal resort wages
    Like several of us here undergrad was in Geography so Planning was a natural/logical progression ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally posted by tea party grl View post
    I first took an interest in planning when I got the idea to turn those Planned Parenthood death camps and disease spreading night clubs into young republican community centers.
    Starring Emma? Is that you?
    Process and dismissal. Shelter and location. Everybody wants somewhere.

BANNED
    Registered
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally posted by kalimotxo View post
    Starring Emma? Is that you?
    no........

Moderator note:

yes....... goodbye.

SR
    Last edited by Suburb Repairman; 20 Dec 2011 at 9:46 AM.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 26 Dec 2009, 6:52 PM
  2. Hello from LA/Potential Planner
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 22 Sep 2009, 9:17 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 27 Aug 2009, 9:02 AM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last post: 05 Dec 2007, 5:25 PM