Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Kindred Spirit Animals

Registered
    Nov 2009

Kindred Spirit Animals

Many cultures believe(d) that people can find connections with specific animals or that the spirit of a certain type of animal resembles a person and the way they live their life. Frequently, these associations were developed not just from certain traits or behaviors, but from frequent encounters with a species.

Do you routinely see a specific species that others around you fail to notice? Do you often encounter sitings of a specific species over and over again? Do you feel like you have a kindred spirit animal?

I routinely see sharks - white tip reef sharks, specifically. This isn't exactly odd for people who go into the water frequently, but it is the almost routine nature of shark sitings for me that stands out when I compare shark siting stories with other mermaids. For example, when snorkeling in Florida I spotted a lemon shark out at sea. I swam with a school of nurse sharks in the Bahamas. I accidentally swam with a giant hammerhead in Hilo - and quickly retreated to shore upon realizing he was so big and so close. In Hawaii I have swam with white tip reef sharks multiple times. This past weekend I counted three on just two dive trips. When snorkeling on Maui a few months ago I was treated to another white tip reef shark encounter.

By contrast, MW has been a certified recreational diver for twenty years and a commercial diver for four - before getting in the water with me she had seen 1 shark. A hammerhead at about 100 feet. Since we started to swim and snorkel together, she now has a handful of close range reef shark encounters and commented over the weekend how strange it is to suddenly see so many sharks.

Maybe the sharks don't feel the same way, but I will always consider them a kindred spirit and look forward to each encounter.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Owls. Nearly everywhere I've lived or visited I've seen or heard owls around even in populated areas.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Seems like every day I find a new bird turd on my car. If I just could find out which species it is I could learn a little something about myself... and how to get the birds to stop.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Bears. I have seen a couple hundred, both from the road and on the trail. I do feel a strong connection to them.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by HomerJ9139 View post
    Seems like every day I find a new bird turd on my car. If I just could find out which species it is I could learn a little something about myself... and how to get the birds to stop.
    Post of the day!!
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    It's an interesting question. I dream of bears, and always have. Not frequently, but always significantly. Without sounding crazy, I do sort of consider them my totem.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Probably deer. Granted, they are a common species, but I seem to see them everywhere, even in weird places, like in a residential neighborhood in the middle of the day (I encountered this many times on site visits at my old job), and other times, when I've been out hiking in the woods, I've enountered them and they didn't necessarily run away as quickly as they ordinarily are known to do when they see people. And I just remembered that I had a strange dream about a month ago where I saw a deer that had just been hit by a car, still alive on the side of the road, but bleeding profusely and I went over by the deer on the side of the road and prayed for it and tried to provide comfort to the animal until it passed on. It was weird.

Also, I'm a dog lover and people have called me the "dog whisperer" before because of my attachment to them, lack of fear of them, and ease of getting along and connecting with just about any dog I meet.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    It's an interesting question. I dream of bears, and always have. Not frequently, but always significantly. Without sounding crazy, I do sort of consider them my totem.
    I have bear dreams too, once had a dream about a family of bears trying to dig out a bunker under my house. The next day I found some scat on the lower deck that I believed to be from a bear. Local naysayers said I found scat from a mutant raccoon. I even took a picture of it and compared it online, and I'm sticking to my story. Now there have been black bear sightings all over michigan, But I have never seen one in the wild though.

I am drawn to stories about bear encounters that frighten the bejeezus out of me.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Previous avatar was the Zuni Bear.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Jen View post
    I have bear dreams too, .
    I have beer dreams.

I've been thinking about this thread, and as much as I absolutely love animals, I can't say that I have a kindred spirit animal. I wish I did.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    RT's kindred spirit animal is the elephant. She collects elephant figurines from all over the world. When we were in Sri Lanka doing research in the village the house my team was renting was located near a nature preserve that had wild elephants. She would tell us all in the late evening hours that the elephants were near because she could "feel" them. Sure enough in the mornings you could see where the elephants had passed through. We were fortunate to see a maternal herd one day when we went to look at a resort that had been leveled by the tsunami and they are magnificent animals.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Nov 2006
    My "kindred spirit" animal has to be the horse. I have been "horse crazy" since I was an infant: my mother has a picture of me on a pony at six months old. I have never met one that I didn't like, and have never been bitten or kicked although I have been stepped on and fallen off. The big reason I want to move to the country when I retire is to acquire two or three because you can't have just one; horses are herd animals that don't like being only ponies.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Bears, dogs, horses, elephants, eagles, or wolves are majestic and noble animals to be sure.

For me, though, I can't decide if my kindred animal would be lice or a sea cucumber.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jun 2009
    My kindred animal would seem to be the common housefly. For some reason they seem to be very attracted to me. I even showered once last year with soap to see if a different scent might throw them off (it worked for only a couple days) and yet STILL they seem to always be near me. I then tried to keep them away by hanging rotting meat from my door thinking the smell might keep them away, but no. I mean, I love 'em and all but still it can almost get annoying sometimes.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I want to say beaver but someone will call me a dirty old man (again). Besides there was this news story that makes me want to choose another species.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/...hiaparkpatrons

I'll go with armadillo instead.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The 'ol ANZAC spirit
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 25 Apr 2013, 9:55 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 07 Nov 2011, 2:21 PM
  3. Replies: 52