Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Urban planning theory

Urban planning theory

I am a Geography major nearing graduation, and intend on going to grad school for urban planning. The problem is I donít know much about urban planning. Can anyone suggest a website and/or book that is good at giving the principles of urban planning?

My school canceled there course on urban planning before I could take itÖ

Also, could someone just give a short list of branches, or fields in Urban Planning? For example,
    • New Urbanism
    • Etc.

Thats the only real urban planning term I know. I'd like to become more well versed. Like a list of urbanism theory? I want to become more comfortable with the field before I dedicate my life to it. Thanks for any insight! Much appreciated!!

Registered
    Mar 2011
    Planning Theory for Practitioners (Michael Brooks)

Any City Reader edition

Planners on Planning (Bruce McClendon)

New Urbanism is not a field of planning, but a design paradigm.

Some of the major fields of planning are:

Environmental planning
    Economic development
    Transportation planning
    Housing

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Might i suggest reviewing USC's free podcast on the subject of urban theory and sustainability:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=423484316
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I would go to www.planning.org and see what the American Planning Association has to say. They also have a book area that has most of the general planning books.

Then once you get that view, read all the books you can that you find interesting about the field. Honestly, going in and talking to your local planner might be the best bet though.

If you aren't sure that you know what planning is, then it might not be right for you. If you check out this site there is TONS of information for every level of planner. Feel free to ask specific questions, but search for answers first, as many of your questions have probably been answered prior.

Good luck and welcome!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

plannerista: Awesome, cant wait to check these out. This should help, thanks.

Chocolatechip, yes after reading that over again, i guess, technically, literally, new urbanism inst a field of urban planning. However, the overall question that this post is asking is pretty clear by evidence of its title Urban Planning theory, and the request for:

Like a list of urbanism theory
    but thanks for your input.

CPSURaf, great advice, as usual. Im stoked about these podcasts...the accent is a little thick, but invaluable resource, thanks much

Hink_Planner, you guys know your stuff! This is great advice, thanks for the help. yeah I need to get the basics down, but Im sure this is the right field for me

Quote Originally posted by bnflorida View post

Chocolatechip, yes after reading that over again, i guess, technically, literally, new urbanism inst a field of urban planning. However, the overall question that this post is asking is pretty clear by evidence of its title Urban Planning theory, and the request for:

but thanks for your input.
    Don't be an idiot. You said "could someone just give a short list of branches, or fields in Urban Planning?"

You're welcome.

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Becoming an Urban Planner by the APA. Everything you need to know about the profession can be learned from that (to some extent).

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Planning theory
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 09 Nov 2011, 10:02 AM
  2. Urban theory book
    Book Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 04 Oct 2009, 5:12 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 30 Nov 2005, 4:33 PM