Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Gaining CEQA/NEPA experience

Registered
    Jun 2011

Gaining CEQA/NEPA experience

Hi Guys,
    I am currently working for an environmental consulting firm as a biological monitor. I would really like to turn my career more towards the environmental planning field. I have a BS and a MS from a UC and solid science experience. Is there a respected way to get some CEQA/NEPA experience, while still continuing my employment. I have classroom experience with the laws, understand how they work and would really like to pursue this.

Suggestions please!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    How about this one for CEQA?

http://extension.ucsd.edu/studyarea/...StudyAreaId=18

I've taken UC extension courses and found them valuable. I see that prices have increased.

Quote Originally posted by krmccann71 View post
    Hi Guys,
    I am currently working for an environmental consulting firm as a biological monitor. I would really like to turn my career more towards the environmental planning field. I have a BS and a MS from a UC and solid science experience. Is there a respected way to get some CEQA/NEPA experience, while still continuing my employment. I have classroom experience with the laws, understand how they work and would really like to pursue this.

Suggestions please!
    You work for an environmental consulting firm... based on your background, I assume they are a science-based firm, mainly biologists? Are they hired by other planning firms to do studies on environmental impacts? If so, they are probably writing reports which will then feed into the CEQA or NEPA documents that the other firm is putting together. You can gain experience by helping to write those reports. That will expose you to the basic impact analysis process/logic, which is the heart of any CEQA or NEPA document.

There are some classes you can take at university extensions, but experience is what you should focus on, not more class time.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by krmccann71 View post
    Hi Guys,

Suggestions please!
    UC is an excellent education. You have a leg up. As a fellow alum, I can't in all honesty encourage you to take on more debt now. But if you must go into planning, EnvPlan is the way to go. But caveat: if you don't like pushing paper around, figure out something else. Ecology, f'r instance.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Losing (Or Gaining) My Religion
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 30 Aug 2012, 4:06 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 18 Nov 2011, 2:18 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 23 Feb 2011, 11:45 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 11 Nov 2010, 8:09 PM