Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Vacation near the Bay City

Registered
    Aug 2004

Vacation near the Bay City

Next week is Vacation Week!

We're staying in Sonoma for 5 days, then heading to the 'burbs of San Fran for a couple of days. Already on the schedule/booked: Napa Valley Wine Train, Sonoma Canopy Tours (tree zipping), a Giants game, and a meal with some of my fam out there.
    Planned but not scheduled/reserved: hiking, the Charles Schultz museum, and lots and lots and lots of wine tasting.
    I have one restaurant recommendation in the City (thanks RJ!), and a couple of wineries to try from the sommelier at a wine tasting place here in town.
    I don't know if hubby would be up for meeting some Cyburbians, but I am. However, the schedule is very tight. Right now, the only time in the City that's open is Thursday after the Giants game. Any San Fran/metro area Cyburbians open for a mini Laefest that night? Would have to be somewhere easy to find, and on/very near a mass transit line.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Mar 2004
    None of that stuff is anywhere near Bay City. You should go to Bronners, eat Chicken, then get some Cheese from Pinconning!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2007
    DetroitPlanner beat me to it.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    DetroitPlanner beat me to it.
    Ess - Ayy - Tee - You - Are - Dee - Ayy - Why Night!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Sal, I'm green with envy. City of Sonoma or the county in general?
    If you need any more suggestions, let me know. I'm happy to assist. Oh, and say hi to my sister.

Go, Giants!!
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Only have been to 1 giants game this year (ring ceremony, take that RJ!).

Resturant recommendations outside of the 1 Willies Mays Plaza:
    Gordon Biresch Brewery right off of the embarcadero.
    Eats in the Stadium not to pass up: Garlic Fries and Orlando Cepeda Cha-Cha Bowl.

Recommendation for a great meal with a view and not to dissapoint:
    The Slanted Door

Recommendation for drinks with a view:
    Nevermind.. it closed... damn you carmelian room

Best Salvadereno food on a budget:
    El Patio on Mission 3913 Mission

Best Breakfast ever in the pennisula:
    Stacks

Have Fun!
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    .......Recommendation for drinks with a view:
    Nevermind.. it closed... damn you carmelian room.......
    The Carnelian Room closed? When? Damn, B of A. Black Rock, bankers' heart. (RJ, kicking the damn white tile floor.)
    There's always the Top of the Mark. Romantic.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    The Carnelian Room closed? When? Damn, B of A. Black Rock, bankers' heart. (RJ, kicking the damn white tile floor.)
    There's always the Top of the Mark. Romantic.
    Yea it met its demise a few years back. I went before it closed.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Sal, I'm green with envy. City of Sonoma or the county in general?
    If you need any more suggestions, let me know. I'm happy to assist. Oh, and say hi to my sister.

Go, Giants!!
    We're renting a cabin in the mountains, so County in general. I think we're on the north end of the county, but I'm not sure. I do know I want to head west and see the coast, and there are several wineries along the way to the water. Even names like Wild Hog Vineyards don't change my mind about this!
    Our list of wineries include a few that require appointments. I don't know yet if we're going to do that, or stick to the ones that are open to the unwashed masses. We like a less structured vacation, with only a few things tied down, so making appointments just doesn't fit our style. And it's not like the two wine valleys are lacking in open wineries!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    None of that stuff is anywhere near Bay City. You should go to Bronners, eat Chicken, then get some Cheese from Pinconning!
    Sadly, I thought the same thing. I spent way too much in the Midwest.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Dec 2009
    If you need anymore recs, you can PM me. I grew up in SF and am a huge foodie person - we go down monthly still. I'm happy to help you out with restaurants, bars, etc. We also spend a lot of time in Sonoma and Napa Counties, so I've got some recs there too!

Enjoy yourself on the trip!!!

Registered
    Dec 2009
    Regarding appts at wineries. It will all depend on which ones you go to and, more importantly, what you want to get out of it. The ones with appts will tend to be more intimate, in that you'll actually learn a lot more and, usually, get some special tastes. I'd avoid large wineries, as you won't find out much info about what you're drinking b/c most likely (if it is a weekend), it will be really crowded.

There are some great wineries in the Dry Creek Valley in Sonoma County, some of which are on a beautiful road out that can take you to the coast. The road is Westside Rd (turns into River Rd/Hwy 116) that starts in Healdsburg and links up with Hwy 1 at the coast. It is kinda far up there/out there, but so worth it!

Calistoga is also nice to check out if you haven't been there. One of the greatest restaurants is there too, Jole. Oh my gosh, it is so good.

A good standby winery that I always like to go to is Frog's Leap, but that is in Napa County. The tasting is free (by appt though) and you get a great tour of the biodynamic/sustainable winery. And at the end, you can pick through bushels of organic fruits and veggies that are grown on-site too.

If you want more ideas, let me know!

Registered
    Aug 2004

Back from Vacation!

Had a blast in Sonoma County! Our cabin was actually the guest quarters at a winery, about 2 miles north of the city of Sonoma, and about 2.5 miles up the mountain. Awesome views, secured access, and comfortable seating on the balconey, where we ate breakfast every day - and watched the sun set every evening. It's called Sunset House, and we highly recommend it!!

Wineries we went to, did a tasting, and bought wine (in no particular order):

Grgich Hills Estate - fabulous Fume Blanc, and their Pinot Grigio ain't bad either!
    Black Stallion - renovated stables as the tasting room
    Ledson - beautiful main house
    Sterling - this one has a tram to the tasting rooms and a self-guided tour included, which for us meant a 2 hour visit
    Kunde (also bought some olive oils)
    Gunlach Bundschau
    Nicholson Ranch

Wineries visited, but we didn't do a tasting and/or didn't buy any wines:

Merryvale
    Rubicon - this the FF Coppala's estate. We wandered around the grounds and also viewed the movie props, but didn't taste/buy wine
    Benzinger - we ate lunch at the renovated stables (now the tasting room, deli, and gift shop), toured the grounds (beautiful!!!), walked through the original estate house, and also watched the painters with their canvases on the grounds of the estate
    Mondavi - again, just wandered around the estate. Pretty, but nothing like Benzinger's estate.
    Arrowwood - great views!
    Chateau Montelana - from the movie Bottle Shock - very pretty

On the Napa Valley Wine Train, we tried several wines in the wine tasting car. I purchased the Frostwatch Chardonnay . Usually I don't like Chards because they are too oakey, but Frostwatch does not use oak barrels - they use metal vats. It's the smoothest, yet none-oakeyest Chardonnay I've ever had.

I had my first-ever In-and-Out meal after our zip line tour. I needed it, after doing my first ever rappell down a tree. If you ever meet me in person, that can be a coded question to let me know you're a Cyburbian - "Ever rappell down a tree?" Between the drive to/from the zip tour, the tour itself, and lunch, it was a 6 hour adventure.

Did one meal with family that Weds. evening. Drove out to Half Moon Bay for a meal at a brewpub on the beach. Rumored to have great views of the bay and sunset, but the clouds/fog blocked most of the view. The drive back to the city through the mountains in the fog was almost surreal.

Pictures posted on FB, with captions. I've never posted pics here. Every time I try, there's an error. I gave up years ago trying to figure it out.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Sounds like you had a great trip!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. On my own...for vacation
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 29
    Last post: 08 Mar 2013, 6:48 PM
  2. Out on a vacation
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7