Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: When to say, "They're not going to hire me?"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2011

When to say, "They're not going to hire me?"

I'm wondering how long after submitting an application I should accept that I'm not going to get an interview and move one. I realize that public sector hiring processes can be frustratingly long and drawn out, and hiring policies are not always readily apparent. However after several weeks and two followups I am no closer to hearing back from a job that I applied for, and for which I thought I was well-qualified. The opening is still listed on the agency's website and is "Open Until Filled," but I know from a followup that the hiring planner reviewed my application over two weeks ago. Is it time to throw in the towel?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by allez View post
    "Open Until Filled," but I know from a followup that the hiring planner reviewed my application over two weeks ago.
    "Open Until Filled" typically means this:

We will take your application, but seriously we are not looking for anybody unless we have the money in the budget, and so right now we don't but we want to make it look like we do so we will advertise the position so we don't loose any additional money.

Move on.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Dec 2010
    I would say no. After a phone interview and follow-up in person interview, I had 1 week of submitting background information and transcripts, then 2 whole weeks of silence, then finally a job offer. Just be patient. If you think you were worth their time, they'll let you know.

But that is no reason to stop hunting for other jobs
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Don't give up yet. But don't be complacent either. I'm assuming you are currently not employed, in which case you should be applying to other jobs while waiting. This may be your #1 preference, but don't put your eggs in just that one basket.

CPSURaf touched on this, but most public entities are in the middle of 'budget season.' At this point they may not be 100% confident about the status of their department budget, and are therefore delaying hiring until they have more confidence that the position won't be cut.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Most importantly I can say, don't give up on your search. Though this job may be your ideal job just in case it doesn't pan out you don't want to be 3 or 4 weeks behind in your job search. Keep searching, keep sending out applications and resumes and if this job comes through then you have only used up some of your time now, but if it doesn't come through you don't want to have to get back into the search mode.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the info. I did some looking and the city is in the middle of it's budget approval for '11-'12, and will approve it in about 2 weeks. I've certainly not given up my search. Regarding CPSURaf's comment, according to the city's website all positions are "Open Until Filled" so hopefully you're wrong on this one.

You always need to move on. You do what you need to do to follow up, but you always move on, regardless of how good the possibility looks. Don't stop the search until you have a final offer in writing that you will accept.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    In my experience, "open until filled" means "We're not going to tie ourselves down to any particular schedule. If we find the right person quickly we will hire them. If not, we'll keep looking."

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Move on. If they want you, they will give you a job. Keep looking until you sign on the dotted line.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    If they don't call me back within a day or two they probably aren't interested. That's not set in stone though.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Keep looking, but understand that for many places, the new fiscal year starts on July 1, and they won't make any hiring decisions until budgets are able to be spent.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    My P-R was a large municipality that advertised the position in time for the sping APA confab, and filled it o-n-e y-e-a-r later.

A job is not like a restaurant meal where you stop looking once you've placed your order. More like a garden. Keep on hoeing!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Apr 2013, 5:10 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 14 Sep 2011, 8:38 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 22 May 2008, 11:55 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 25 Jun 2007, 10:39 AM