Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Urban fireplaces

Registered
    Oct 2010

Urban fireplaces

Does anyone know of examples of public fireplaces in urban environments? In order to make some areas attractive year-round we're considering fireplaces but wanted to know of related issues.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by echdc View post
    Does anyone know of examples of public fireplaces in urban environments? In order to make some areas attractive year-round we're considering fireplaces but wanted to know of related issues.
    I don't know of any public fireplaces, but maintenance would be the big thing for me. That and safety. I would look around Aspen, Denver, and other ski locations, as their public spaces are shaped much differently than most.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2009
    A city in the area has a fire pit in a mall...erm...lifestyle center, here.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Local dumpsters/trash cans. Ask the local whino they can point you to the nearest location
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ColoGI View post
    See told you to look around Colorado....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I'd imagine those are gas fireplaces though. I was under the impression wood burning fire places were essentially not permitted in new construction in Colorado due to air quality issues.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    See told you to look around Colorado....
    ;o)

You made me think that IIRC Breck probably has one as well as Aspen & Vail. Not aware of one in Denver, Steamboat, Crested Butte - not to say there are none. I'll check Breck next month.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    We have an outdoor mall... err lifestyle center that has those. They even encourage people to bring thier dogs! BTW you don't want to see a Doberman and a Pitbull fighting over the carcass of a yorkie!

http://www.shoppartridgecreek.com/
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I know of one near Otisville on the Oregon coast: http://www.tbg-arch.com/commercial/s...n-marketplace/ It is called the Marketplace at Salishan.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    I know of one near Otisville on the Oregon coast: http://www.tbg-arch.com/commercial/s...n-marketplace/ It is called the Marketplace at Salishan.
    OT, sounded familiar so GoogleMapped it, I forgot about all the clearcuts. Sheesh!

[/OT]

Cool looking space, though.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    ;o)

You made me think that IIRC Breck probably has one as well as Aspen & Vail. Not aware of one in Denver, Steamboat, Crested Butte - not to say there are none. I'll check Breck next month.
    Crested Butte doesn't nor does Mountain Crested Butte.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    As far as issues go, I think you are primarily dealing with preventing the fire from spreading and dealing with the smoke. An open fire ring is not going to do much for smoke, but a fireplace will. I have some images in my collection. I will have to see if I can dig them up.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Not sure if you are talking about Outdoor or Indoor fireplaces. I've designed a couple of indoor fireplaces in public libraries (both gas fireplaces - cleaner for air as well as maintenance), so can address these. I've also heard of/seen them in recreation centers, senior centers, community centers. Some of these could be indoor to outdoor as well (I've seen this in Yosemite along an exterior wall at a lodge).

Issues included: well, this was in California, State of Liability, so keeping people away from the glass front of the fireplace to prevent burns was important. so, we designed a secondary piece of glass in front of it as part of the surround to prevent that - you need to vent the space in between though. (I know, it is nice to now live in a no fault state where people take responsibility for their actions.)

There are also some state building codes that can be particular (the Plumbing or Mechanical Code I think, but I can't remember just now). The one we ended up specifying - to meet the direct venting requirement - was www.europeanhome.com I'm sure there are others as well. One of the buildings opened a few years ago, the other in July, so far I haven't heard of any problems.

For Outdoor - depends on where - California has pretty much banned wood-burning fireplaces (and have 'no burn' days when the air quality is poor), so it would be poor form for them to put a wood-burning fireplace somewhere themselves. I would think Air Quality requirements and potential pollution would need to be addressed.

Registered
    Sep 2008
    Interesting concept. Would love to hear if you have any luck.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Many have taken to calling these "fire features" in order to be consistent with the term "water feature." They're nice to have both indoors and outdoors.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 12 Feb 2013, 5:05 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 04 Jan 2013, 3:14 PM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last post: 12 Dec 2006, 7:58 PM