Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: Hello from Japan by way of Texas!

Hello from Japan by way of Texas!

Hi y'all!

I'm currently an English teacher in Japan who has a silly notion to be an urban planner but I wanted to learn more about it than what wikipedia can tell me. My background is in journalism and political science which was founded on a misguided belief that I could make the world a better place. Urban planning appeals to me because it seems like y'all actually have an impact on people and their communities. I'm specifically really interested in the social/community development aspects of urban planning, looking at the needs of the people and addressing community issues. Also since living in Japan I have been interested in how cities here use what little land space they have so effectively. Triangular buildings are not uncommon and their public transportation systems are amazing! Am I totally off-base or do y'all feel like this is a very rewarding career path for someone who is a pragmatic idealist?

Also I was looking at USC's School of Policy, Planning and Development and they offer an MPL program with a concentration in Social and Community Planning which seems up my alley? Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Welcome from the Great State of Ohio! Make sure you post your questions in the forums that are most likely to get some answers - any questions on being a student you will get more responses from the student forum.

Again welcome!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Welcome! You sound like you want to be a planner for all the right reasons. Many of us poly sci majors become jaded and move on to something more rewarding, myself included.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    Make sure you post your questions in the forums that are most likely to get some answers - any questions on being a student you will get more responses from the student forum.

Again welcome!
    Thanks for the tip!! I'll repost my questions there!

Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    Welcome! You sound like you want to be a planner for all the right reasons. Many of us poly sci majors become jaded and move on to something more rewarding, myself included.
    Thank you! That's really reassuring to hear! What would you say are some personality traits/qualities that are necessary to be a good and happy planner?

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Greetings from another Poli Sci grad! You sound like you have a good idea of what you want to do, and what draws you to the profession. Good luck with the grad school - nowadays you need it to get started in this gig.

Let us know next time you're in Big D. If you were here today, you could be one of the hundreds of thousands predicted to line the streets for the Mavericks parade!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    Let us know next time you're in Big D. If you were here today, you could be one of the hundreds of thousands predicted to line the streets for the Mavericks parade!
    I AM SO JEALOUS! I watched the whole series! So so so excited! Have fun at the parade - I'll be watching video of it when it comes out! Yay for youtube and voyeurism!

I'll be moving back to the DFW area in late August! It would be really great if I could meet up with y'all and talk more about planning as a career! Hopefully by then I'll know a bit more about it and what I want to do!

redirkulously yours

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Journey to Japan
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 27 Jun 2012, 6:50 PM
  2. Tokyo, Japan
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 14 Jan 2011, 7:14 PM
  3. Greetings from Japan!