Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Thesis topic and subsequent career development

Registered
    Dec 2010

Thesis topic and subsequent career development

Hi there Cyburbians,

I'm currently working in development control for a municipality, but looking to go back back to school part-time to get my Masters in Planning. I can do this by theis only, as I already have a Bachelor of Planning.

My planning experience to date has been a couple of years in consulting, mostly preparing applications for clients, and a year or so in development control for rural/county municipal government. I've found in some places, development control was perceived as not being "real planning". That said, I'm happy to have a "real" job

Given my personal circumstances, my next career move could be back overseas again and either municipal planning or consulting. Which brings me back to my thesis topic. I'm trying to figure out the balance between my own professional interests vs progressing my career into "real planning" vs a topic which is reasonably transferrable to an overseas planning system. My area of interest is affordable/social housing.

For those who went back to grad school after working in planning for a few years, did your thesis topic make a difference to your career development? What would you have done differently?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Others may disagree, but do a thesis topic that interests you personally. Don't just think about potential earnings when you do it. Getting a Master's shows commitment, dedication, and a love of something - and you want to make sure it's for the right reasons. All Master's are a great achievement, but we've forgotten over time that love of learning can be an end in itself, not just a path. Good luck.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 21 Jun 2012, 11:05 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 23 Feb 2009, 8:27 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 27 Nov 2007, 11:38 AM
  4. The topic of community development
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 06 Oct 2006, 10:41 PM