Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What next steps to take?

Registered
    Jul 2009

What next steps to take?

Greetings everyone, I registered on this forum a couple of years ago, but just now starting to get more active with it.

I just graduated in May with my MUP (specializing in Land Use and Environmental Planning) and have been on the job hunt with predictably bad results. Luckily, the (small) town I had been interning for is keeping me around for an extra few weeks to help them draft a new stormwater ordinance (to pass an EPA audit, NPDES II blah, blah, etc.).

However, that is soon to expire here in the next month. I have been working the few good contacts I have, but there really is nothing available DIRECTLY related to planning in the region I am located (Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri, Oklahoma). I was wondering if anyone would have any suggestions or recommendations of how/where to look for (entry-level?) jobs or maybe different job industries I have not considered looking in yet?

I have been thinking about what I wanted in a career and I like the idea of Energy Planning/Conservation (if that makes sense to anyone else)

Thank you and my apologies for the slightly longish post.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Welcome (back). If you do a search of the Career Forum you will find that there are few planning jobs available in lots of places in the U.S. right now. Unfortunately that will probably be the case for a while.

I think the advise for you would be the same as for anyone else who is looking for a planning job right now - be willing to move anywhere, network, and continue applying to all kinds of jobs in all kinds of places. It might not be your ideal job, but it might get your feet wet with a group or region.

Good luck!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post

I think the advise for you would be the same as for anyone else who is looking for a planning job right now - be willing to move anywhere, network, and continue applying to all kinds of jobs in all kinds of places. It might not be your ideal job, but it might get your feet wet with a group or region.

Good luck!
    IOW: everyone has a keyboard macro for this reply.

Registered
    Nov 2008
    I have been thinking about what I wanted in a career and I like the idea of Energy Planning/Conservation (if that makes sense to anyone else)
    One good tool to have is experience with visual resource management. It comes up as part of the compliance process for both oil/gas and solar/wind.

BLM has an outstanding VRM course offered twice per year. It's mostly feds but when I took it there were people from 4-5 different firms attending as well. If you are a student you might be able to attend for free, if not I think the class is $500.
    You can grow ideas in the garden of your mind.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by chupacabra View post
    One good tool to have is experience with visual resource management. It comes up as part of the compliance process for both oil/gas and solar/wind.

BLM has an outstanding VRM course offered twice per year. It's mostly feds but when I took it there were people from 4-5 different firms attending as well. If you are a student you might be able to attend for free, if not I think the class is $500.
    Cool, cool ... I had not heard of that, I will definitely check it out. Thanks.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Rummy Steps Down
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 29
    Last post: 09 Nov 2006, 11:34 AM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last post: 25 Aug 2006, 10:22 PM
  3. D_O_D, 29 Steps Wisdom
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 27 Sep 2004, 12:03 PM