Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Thomasville GA

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Thomasville GA

These are from last weekend in southwest Georgia.

The Big Oak (yes, that's us in the second image)

Downtown commercial district

Nearby residential neighborhood

A home completely out of place

History Museum

Pebble Hill Plantation a few miles south of Thomasville

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Pretty little town. With the temperature being 100˚, I can see why nonody is outside.

In your professional opinion, RJ, would you say that oak in the 6th and 7th photo is big?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Does this place have any relationship with Thomasville furniture manufacturers?

Registered
    Apr 2006
    [QUOTE=TexanOkie;595523]Does this place have any relationship with Thomasville furniture manufacturers?[/QUOTE

Thomasville Furniture is located in Thomasville, NC.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Adorable town. Too bad I don't think I could stand living in the south (I'm originally from Arizona, so I can stand dry heat. I'm in Illinois now, and I'm tolerating the humid-not-so-hot summer. But the two combined? Probably not).

Registered
    Sep 1999
    A couple things RJ didn't mention:
    I think it's the 13th photo, that's a building built to close an alley, it's 8 ft wide and 100 ft deep.

Much of the "plantation" we visited was built in the 1930's (after a fire levelled much of the main home), so we skipped the building tour and just walked the grounds to get the older experience. The estate dates from the 1830's and the family cemetery had graves of the oldest owners.

The downtown was very busy with locals and visitors alike. I was surprised Thomasville has a Publix, given its size at around 18,000. No mall, Best Buy, etc, but a Lowe's. Lots of lovely residential areas.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Pretty little town. With the temperature being 100˚, I can see why nonody is outside.

In your professional opinion, RJ, would you say that oak in the 6th and 7th photo is big?
    Immediately after I took that picture, the temperature reading went to 101˚.

The oak is big, without question, and impressive. But I've seen larger oaks in the central valley of California. The Valley Oaks; Quercus lobata.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercus_lobata

A little info about The Big Oak.

http://www.thomasvillerose.com/thoma...oak-tree-park/

Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    ........The downtown was very busy with locals and visitors alike. I was surprised Thomasville has a Publix, given its size at around 18,000. No mall, Best Buy, etc, but a Lowe's. Lots of lovely residential areas.
    And no macy*s.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Great selection of photos... that Oak holy smokes how did it survive so long without becoming a chest of drawers?

Nice collection of building types.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Nice Southern town. I was getting a little home-sick until RJ said it was 101 degrees.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Those homes are amazing! I'll take two please!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    Thomasville is a great little southern secret. Those live oaks are amazing and probably over 150 years old. Did you make it over to Cairo and tour the syrup making factories? Next time you're on a trip in south GA, go see the city of Douglas. I haven't been there in about 10 years but I hear they have been very busy refacing their downtown core and active in attracting redevelopment.

Thanks for the pictures.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Thanks for the positive comments folks. It's appreciated.

Quote Originally posted by shell_waster View post
    Thomasville is a great little southern secret. Those live oaks are amazing and probably over 150 years old. Did you make it over to Cairo and tour the syrup making factories? Next time you're on a trip in south GA, go see the city of Douglas. I haven't been there in about 10 years but I hear they have been very busy refacing their downtown core and active in attracting redevelopment.

Thanks for the pictures.
    No, we didn't get over to Cairo. Maybe next time. Douglas is east of the I-75. Perhaps on a future trip to the Georgia coast we'll stop through. Lots of good exploring opportunities here in the Deep South.

I it here. (Voice of California native.)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hello from Thomasville, GA
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 07 Jul 2008, 5:30 PM