Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Parking for gyms

Registered
    Mar 2002

Parking for gyms

I've got a proposal for a Gold's Gym-type facility. We have no parking standard that is applicable. Do you have any standards for parking for such a commercial work-out facility?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    From our code:

4 spaces per 1,000 sq. ft of personal service establishment gross floor
    Closest I could come; our code is imperfect.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Very high demand if they are popular, I see a lot of overflow at times from ones around here. Sometimes it can have useful shared parking with offices. Not so much with retail or restaurant since the "after work" peaks coincide.

ITE Parking Generation 4th Ed using 25 observations shows weekday average demand 5.27 vehicles per ksf, 85th-percentile is 8.46. Weekend somewhat lower. Average supply was 5.7 per ksf.

Registered
    Sep 2008
    Our code calls for 1 space for every 400 square feet...we've never had a gym come in, however, that hasn't provided much more than this, because they are all tucked into shopping centers. The funny thing to me is that all the religious gym-goers jockey for the spots closest to the door!
    "In our profession, a plan that everyone dislikes for different reasons is a success. A plan everyone dislikes for the same reason is a failure. And a plan that everyone likes for the same reason is an act of God." - Richard Carson

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Random Traffic Guy View post
    Very high demand if they are popular, I see a lot of overflow at times from ones around here. Sometimes it can have useful shared parking with offices. Not so much with retail or restaurant since the "after work" peaks coincide.

ITE Parking Generation 4th Ed using 25 observations shows weekday average demand 5.27 vehicles per ksf, 85th-percentile is 8.46. Weekend somewhat lower. Average supply was 5.7 per ksf.
    Is there a rule of thumb for translating hourly demand to recommended or required supply?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 15
    Last post: 20 Sep 2012, 10:01 AM
  2. Replies: 26
    Last post: 04 Dec 2011, 7:50 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 01 Nov 2010, 2:55 PM
  4. Replies: 22
    Last post: 28 Jul 2009, 3:51 PM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last post: 12 May 2005, 3:16 PM