Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: City of Orlando faces cyber attacks over treatment of homeless advocacy group

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2010

City of Orlando faces cyber attacks over treatment of homeless advocacy group

I just saw this on the news and thought that it was interesting, both from a planning perspective and from a legal perspective. The group Anonymous has decided to repeatedly cyber attack the city of Orlando over it's treatment of the group Food not Bombs. City officials state that FnB did not apply for proper permits to distribute food to homeless people, and thus should face repercussions, including arrest.

Link to the article.

What does everyone think of this from a planning perspective? Should FnB have the book thrown at them for clearly disobeying policy, or should an exception be made in their case?
    "It's human nature, you can't do anything about that" - Alan Greenspan

Check out my blog!

Registered
    Dec 2008
    If this was an organized event they should get the proper permits. But if it was a small group handing out food they should be okay. We can't really say a random person handing another person a piece of bread on a park bench is illegal, can we?

As a planner I have a million different thoughts on this - just like we regulate rental housing but not owner occupied housing? It's still a house with residents - so inspections are based on where the monthly payment goes? On the surface does that make sense? Back on topic...so is Orlando saying if they handed out political fliers they'd be okay? What about political fliers that come with a piece of bread?

This just shows how unstable we are having everything on the internet. Think your bank is safe? These people will just get a job at a bank...
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Depends on howw FnB were handing out meals. Salvation Army has always done this here and it uses trucks. I could understand if they were setting-up a full blown kitchen in a park and doing this as it would have more permenance.

Due to my upbringing I think is dammed silly to put up roadblocks to feeding the poor. Its a tennant of every Jewish, Christian, and Muslim sect to do so. If its the one thing you can get these folks to agree on, why regulate it unless it needs regulating?

I would want to know more information. Are they feeding the homeless out of a truck? Does the park contain public washrooms? Does the concentration of needy have a negative impact on the environment? How many people are we talking about here?

I would assume that FL has a terrible homeless problem. I know if I was homeless and did not have a job I would gravitate that way as opposed to Minneapolis.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Here's an explanation on this issue: FnB vs Orlando

I agree with Detroit Planner on this. They aren't cooking food. They are setting up tables twice a week to give out food.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by bsteckler View post

What does everyone think of this from a planning perspective? Should FnB have the book thrown at them for clearly disobeying policy, or should an exception be made in their case?
    I wonder if they aren't trying to manage out the homeless to make them move to another city, and that's why Anon is doing what they're doing. As a general rule I agree with what Anonymous is doing. Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally posted by ColoGI View post
    I wonder if they aren't trying to manage out the homeless to make them move to another city,.
    Wouldn't be the first time Orlando tried to pull something like, from what I've heard.

Anonymous is interesting. This stuff has been going on in China for years now. Of course, people don't have a voice there, and hacktivism and other forms of anonymous internet activism is often the best means people have to cope with their powerlessness. The police there gets badly hacked pretty much every time there's a rumor that they misbehaved (such as when there's a rumor that they're beating prisoners, seizing dissidents or whatever). And even their secret police-type agencies can't even begin to figure out how to stop it...

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Here's another viewpoint from my favorite Orlando Sentinel columnist:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...5938199.column

I am not a fan of the mayor.... but if every other charitable org who feeds the homeless can comply and still accomplish their missions, why do these few FNB yahoos have to make such a scene? Media, media, media...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2010
    I honestly can see both sides of this argument. I agree with the job that FnB does and I think they have a right to do it, but I can also see the city's concern about repelling people from the park, although given that it is solely FnB that is doing this now, not a multitude of groups, I would think that the problem should be lessened.

That being said, I think that FnB/Anon. has not reacted to this in the ideal situation. If FnB cared about solving this problem and not yelling about it, they would have complied with city regulations and would have been more effective had they taken the olive branch offered to them by the city. However, they continue to whine about not getting their way, to which I respond "tough, that's life".

If you care about solving a problem, you work quietly. If you care about making a statement, you whine.
    "It's human nature, you can't do anything about that" - Alan Greenspan

Check out my blog!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. How can a group of citizens help a city?
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 30 Aug 2010, 9:09 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last post: 11 Jan 2009, 6:34 PM
  3. Reading Faces
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 10 Aug 2006, 6:04 PM
  4. Replies: 23
    Last post: 20 Jun 2005, 1:26 PM
  5. Advocacy and frustration