Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Limited opportunity for position advancement long term.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.

Limited opportunity for position advancement long term.

How important is periodic career advancement in the long term scheme of things? A friend of mine is leaving his community and relocating because he said that there is no chance of advancement at his current place of work. It got me thinking and as of right now, I would be OK being in the same role in 5 to 10 years as I am right now with the same employer. Which is a good thing because all the positions above me are occupied by younger people who have been here for quite a while, and the director has no real intention of leaving the job. But what about 15 years? I don't know if I would be content on being in the same position as I am in now. I might be, but I don't know.

I know one cyburbian that has been in the same position for more than a decade and we talked about it in the past, he has no desire to seek higher advancement be cause he is content with is existing position.

Would being in the same position for 10 years be seen as commitment or as a sign that there is a potential problem and reason that there hasn't been advancement.
    If you're not growing, you're dying. - Lou Holtz

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I think if you want to move up you have to change every 5-10 years. That could be an improvement in the current job or moving. What it really comes down to, are you content with your life? If I liked the city I'm in a little more I think I could be content with my current job. It's not challenging, but I'd get over that for the family time and general lack of stress.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I have no plans to retire in my position. If I am not a director in my preferred city or a city/village manager in the next 10 years I will not be happy.

No worries though, I will be.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    I have no plans to retire in my position. If I am not a director in my preferred city or a city/village manager in the next 10 years I will not be happy.

No worries though, I will be.
    Kind of my plan and you can't steal it!

Spend up to 5 years as "director" of this place to earn that management credit on the resume
    Go work for a small town as director for another 5-10
    Go find the city I want and work there.
    Quit and live the good life.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    Kind of my plan and you can't steal it!

Spend up to 5 years as "director" of this place to earn that management credit on the resume
    Go work for a small town as director for another 5-10
    Go find the city I want and work there.
    Quit and live the good life.
    That's kinda my plan as well, remain director at my current city for up to 5 years, then either move on to a bigger city or convince my hometown to be their PD. If neither of those work out, I'll probably go back into consulting.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 14 Mar 2015, 12:44 PM
  2. Long term rote memory recall
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 37
    Last post: 20 Apr 2014, 7:17 PM
  3. Long-term career prospects for planners
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 05 Aug 2010, 12:56 AM