Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Urban planning in Asia

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2008

Urban planning in Asia

I wonder if it is at all possible for a newly minted planner right out of planning school to secure a job outside of the US in places like Hong Kong, China, Taiwan etc. I have this worry that all they look for are locals and if they do hire American planners they only choose ones with a lot of experience and knowledge of the local language. Does anyone have experience like this?

Registered
    Nov 2009
    It would help your cause substantially if you spoke one of their languages. Learn Mandarin.

As a private sector planner whose firm often does work in China, I can say that bringing a western influence to the table can sometimes be an asset. That asset diminishes rapidly if you cannot communicate.

Registered
    Oct 2015

re:

Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    It would help your cause substantially if you spoke one of their languages. Learn Mandarin.

As a private sector planner whose firm often does work in China, I can say that bringing a western influence to the table can sometimes be an asset. That asset diminishes rapidly if you cannot communicate.
    TerraSapient,
    I'm a planner, Harvard grad, and fluent in Mandarin. I'd love to talk to you about your experience doing planning work in China. I'm new to this forum and can't figure out how to send private messages. If you get this, could you please email me at matthew [dot] hartzell [at] gmail [dot] com? Thanks so much!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 03 Nov 2010, 11:07 PM
  2. Planning and Southeast Asia
    Student Commons
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 18 Oct 2006, 12:03 PM
  3. CAP Asia (Ball State)
    Student Commons
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 22 Feb 2006, 6:53 PM