Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Median and snow plowing on Main Street

Registered
    Aug 2001

Median and snow plowing on Main Street

This might be an off topic questions, but Im proposing a road reconfiguration from 4 lanes to 3 (2 thru and a left turn) with a landscaped median through a small town but Public Works is highly concerned about snow removal. The median is proposed to be approximately 9 wide which could act as snow storage when necessary. We are in northwest Wyoming, small town of only 1500 people with peak traffic counts of 7500 vehicles per day and receive about 44 of snow each year which does not seem like that much. Does anyone have pictures or information on how this works elsewhere? Thanks
    "You can measure the health of a city by the vitality and energy of its streets and public open spaces.-- William H. Whyte..

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Pinedale? I thought about bidding on that one but figured it would go to the local firm.

Nine feet is a pretty generous median and would certainly accommodate a lot of snow in the first wave of plowing. I suspect their issue may be the task of cleaning the snow off the median. That can't be done with a regular plow truck and will take additional time.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    In the Salt Lake Valley, medians and snow removal have always been at odds. Medians are nice during the spring, summer and fall but are a big problem during the winter. We sometimes get heavy snow falls of a foot of more that can completely cover a median in a hour or two. Bouncing the blade of a snow removal truck off a median can do a substantial amount of damage to both the median and the plow blade.

The only areas in the Salt Lake Valley that I have seen them successful used are wide boulevards two to three lanes in each direction and the streets can be plowed easily because of the width of the paved area. A main street, that may have parking along both sides and a median down the middle, would be very hard to plow during a deep snow fall.

I gave up trying to place medians in developments around here a long time ago because even if it got it past the Planning Commission and City Council, they would rarely ever make it pass the engineering construction plans.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Be happy that your fire department doesn't get involved... big fire trucks seem to nix great plans as well...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by prana View post
    This might be an off topic questions, but I’m proposing a road reconfiguration from 4 lanes to 3 (2 thru and a left turn) with a landscaped median through a small town but Public Works is highly concerned about snow removal. The median is proposed to be approximately 9’ wide which could act as snow storage when necessary. We are in northwest Wyoming, small town of only 1500 people with peak traffic counts of 7500 vehicles per day and receive about 44” of snow each year which does not seem like that much. Does anyone have pictures or information on how this works elsewhere? Thanks
    I'll be backpacking in the Winds and I'll look at it, but from a GI point of view your median plants won't like that treatment. Theoretically it will work but practically Parks will hate it and I can see PW being sad at the concrete and equipment damage too. Look at your curbs and the curbs in neighboring towns. Now think about that in a median for snow storage. Right.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    This might be an off topic questions, but Im proposing a road reconfiguration from 4 lanes to 3 (2 thru and a left turn) with a landscaped median through a small town but Public Works is highly concerned about snow removal. The median is proposed to be approximately 9 wide which could act as snow storage when necessary. We are in northwest Wyoming, small town of only 1500 people with peak traffic counts of 7500 vehicles per day and receive about 44 of snow each year which does not seem like that much. Does anyone have pictures or information on how this works elsewhere? Thanks

Sorry, I can't picture it. You don't mean two through lanes and a turn lane EACH WAY?!?! In a small town of 1500???

In such a wide, wide roadway, does the median accomplish much? Conversely, why not leave he middle of the roadway clear (facilitating snow removal, etc) and do the narrowing at the sides (wider sidewalks, planting, etc.).
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Registered
    Aug 2001

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...type=1&theater

a preliminary massing model of what the median concept might look like instead of the existing 4 lanes that currently exist. Existing curb line and parallel parking remain. Bike lanes, turn lanes, ped bump outs and median are added. This is proposed for a 5 block stretch of the historic section of town where Main Street Pinedale is concentrating its efforts for economic redevelopment.
    "You can measure the health of a city by the vitality and energy of its streets and public open spaces.-- William H. Whyte..

Registered
    Jul 2009

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...type=1&theater

a preliminary massing model of what the median concept might look like instead of the existing 4 lanes that currently exist. Existing curb line and parallel parking remain. Bike lanes, turn lanes, ped bump outs and median are added. This is proposed for a 5 block stretch of the historic section of town where Main Street Pinedale is concentrating its efforts for economic redevelopment.
    The Green Infrastructure guy sez you need more trees in median and roadside, but I understand the rendering needs. ;o) Also tree pits up there will kill your trees. Nonetheless,

I can see the textured crosswalk and squared-to-plowing-side bumpouts getting hammered by sleepy plow drivers - the textured xwalk will collect moisture in plow damage and freeze-thaw will make PW unhappy.

Other than that, if you can get PW plow drivers on board, I don't see why it won't work, albeit with added maintenance from curbs being hit and the xwalk bit. You can have cool perennials that die back to the ground in the median (as opposed to, say, Russian Sage, catmint, some ornamental grasses, woody shrubs) - and daffodils and similar bulbs - and really make that median outstanding. The businesses will love you when the daffies are in bloom. Its cool, keep working at convincing PW.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 12 Nov 2010, 8:39 PM
  2. NY Main Street conference
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 25 Apr 2008, 1:11 PM
  3. On-street parking and a median?
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 26 Mar 2007, 8:40 AM