Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Extended stay hotel regulations

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2008

Extended stay hotel regulations

does anyone have or know of specific requirements regarding extended stay hotels? i have a hotel chain that provides rooms to customers for a min of 1 week wanting to locate in my municipality. city attorney is concerned that this may blur the line of what is considered a typical hotel (non-residential zoning district) v. residential rental property (residential zoning district).
    thanks

Registered
    Feb 2003
    OT: I dont have an answer to your question exactly, but I do have an antecdote.

My father has a good friend who got divorced about 10 years ago and moved into one of these. He is still there. They moved him to a corner room about 9 years ago, and he has been there ever since. He loves it. They clean his room everyday, he has a pool. He meets lady business travelers in the work out facility, etc. He loves it. So yeah, I would say it is more than a "hotel" and needs a different regulation of sorts.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    In the UDC I'm writing at this very moment, I define "lodging establishment" as:

10.306.24 Lodging establishment

10.306.24.1 Definition
    Lodging establishment: hotel, motel, extended stay hotel, guest house or other facility providing transient accommodations to the public. Accessory uses may include meeting and banquet rooms, restaurants, bars, swimming pools, workout rooms, and other amenities typically found at hotels and motels.

For "dwelling", I use:

10.305.3 Dwelling (general)

10.305.3.1 Definitions
    Dwelling: building used exclusively for year round residential occupancy and for permitted accessory uses, including single unit/family dwellings, two-to-four unit/family dwellings and multi-unit/family dwellings. The term does not include hotels, motels, extended stay lodging, tents, vehicles, or other structures designed or used primarily for temporary occupancy. Any dwelling is considered a principal building.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jan 2009
    we have one under construction right now - and i would say that dan's definitions are pretty accurate. an extended stay can be long term but it is not a permanent address for the occupants (most of the time)

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I can't help you with specific examples or anecdotes, but I would like to offer some advice - Don't over think this one.

If you are to going to try to over define and create regulations that try to deal with the unique "potential" of this project, you will have a headache on your hands and cumbersome (and surely opaque) requirements/enforcement.

The intent and business model for an extended stay hotel (I presume) is for housing people for periods of time to help with transitions. Unlike a multi-family building.

I think you just need to be trusting with your new applicant.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2008
    a hotel is a hotel is a hotel - no need to split hairs.

this came from the higher ups, not the planners.

thanks everyone!

Registered
    Jul 2011

Extended Stay Motels are Apartments

I have been asking for a review of state motel regulations for a number of years. Now it seems that we may be moving in that direction. Hotel/motel rules can not be applied to an extended stay motel. An extended stay motel is an apartment building. For some folks they are "transitional" housing. But there are many more for whom the place is their primary and only residence. Hotel rooms were never designed to be homes.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 18
    Last post: 23 Dec 2013, 5:47 PM
  2. Uses Extended stay hotels/motels
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 16 Jul 2013, 9:58 PM
  3. Hotel regulations: minimums?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 12 Sep 2006, 10:47 AM