Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Grad school? Architecture?

Registered
    Feb 2011

Grad school? Architecture?

I was wondering if anyone could help me decide whether it is a good idea for me to go to grad school or not. I have a BS in City and Regional Planning, interned for four different places, and I have applied and interviewed to countless jobs. I am making no progress and I feel that the competition for jobs is so rough that I need to go to graduate school to be a stronger candidate.

I do not really feel like getting a master's in planning, but I would like to get one in architecture. Is that a good idea? I have always wanted to get a degree in architecture as well, but is it a waste of money? Will I be any closer to finding a job in planning or architecture?

Perhaps you could consider landscape architecture instead.

Registered
    Feb 2011
    Thanks! I have started to consider landscape architecture too, but it has been hard to decide between the two.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    What attracted you to planning?what is your end game? What value would an Master's in Architecture give you? What do you see yourself doing 5-7 years from now? You don't "need" to go to grad school to be a stronger candidate. Are you looking only in California? Have you casted you net wider? People need to understand a Master's doesn't guarantee you a job. A solid portfolio and work experience is a better than a piece of paper.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2008
    It's a lot of work and a lot of money. If you have an itch for more school and/or a serious desire to explore these fields in more depth it may be worth it ... if you are just trying to get ahead in the job market my guess is that three or four years working would probably give you a bigger leg up than another degree. It doesn't seem like you have much to lose by starting down the path though - you can always bail later.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 15 Sep 2009, 2:57 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 31 Jul 2008, 6:00 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 11 Mar 2008, 3:29 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 15 Nov 2007, 11:20 AM
  5. Architecture school
    Student Commons