Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AICP November 2011

Registered
    Dec 2006

AICP November 2011

I procrastinated for nearly three years now, so I just tonight submitted my application. So long as the job verifications and college transcript made it, I hope to be sitting for the exam in four months.

Anyone else?
    "We are not going to have public meetings to review architecture. Public input ruins the idea of professional review." -Design Review Committee Chairman, 11/04/09

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2005
    Working on finishing my app. This is the first round I'm eligible. I figure if I don't do it now, I likely never will.

Registered
    Dec 2006
    How long should it take for my employment verifications and transcripts to show up on the application status page?
    "We are not going to have public meetings to review architecture. Public input ruins the idea of professional review." -Design Review Committee Chairman, 11/04/09

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    AICP says it is usually 6 weeks before you are accepted or denied, but in reality is closer to 10-12. I submitted mine in mid-July around this time 3 years ago but didn't find out until right before Labor Day weekend, leaving me barely 2 1/2 months to prepare.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Well, I didn't necessarily procrastinate at first (my daughter was born on July of last year - forget the application at that point), but for the second application window, I guess I did too. Although, it was less procrastination and more like first-time-father-loss-of-time-and-space syndrome...

Anyways, I submitted my application for November 2011 and have been checking the status update on APA. I haven't seen anything change as of yet...

I'm going to start studying anyways.

Registered
    Jul 2011
    I applied June 24 for the November exam.

I still have yet to hear from the APA, but the AICP Exam Application Status shows that my employer verification letter and transcripts were "accepted. As I recall, it took them about 4 weeks to verify that stuff (and it all wasn't verified at the same time). If your Application Status page doesn't show those things as "accepted" at this point, I'd be worried.

And yeah almost 10 weeks now and I still haven't heard back from them as to whether I'm even allowed to take the test.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Ahhh, I just looked again at my status page and indeed it does say my letter and education material was "accepted." The application is still pending and under review. I just figured that everything would be reviewed and updated at once. How silly of me to assume such things...

Registered
    Dec 2006
    I see on the status update page that almost all of my application was accepted, but that the approval itself is still pending & under review. The one item that hasn't yet been accepted? Well, this post (#2 in particular) came to fruition. One of my past employers completely ignored my letter requesting an employment verification. It's blank on the status update page.

And yes, I'm collecting study materials and studying like I was accepted already, anyway.

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally posted by WhenIGrowUp View post
    I see on the status update page that almost all of my application was accepted, but that the approval itself is still pending & under review. The one item that hasn't yet been accepted? Well, this post (#2 in particular) came to fruition. One of my past employers completely ignored my letter requesting an employment verification. It's blank on the status update page.

And yes, I'm collecting study materials and studying like I was accepted already, anyway.

Hopefully the work experience from that one employer isn't necessary to get you to the minimum work experience requirements?

I only submitted one set of answers because I thought it was ridiculous to have to write a new slate of answers for every promotion I've received in my 9+ years at my current position (I've held 4 job titles doing the same work for the same company with just differing management responsibilities). Fortunately, though, I have a master's from an accredited program, so can claim my current job position (3.5 years) + eduction fully meets the requirements.

I feel for those with bachelors from a non-accredited program, though. Every promotion means another 2,500 words or whatever - at least, as I understand the AICP requirements.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by tarf12345678 View post
    Hopefully the work experience from that one employer isn't necessary to get you to the minimum work experience requirements?
    Correct - per the terms of the AICP application criteria, I have the requisite job experience and education to apply. But I also wrote those 750-800 words about my job experiences there that went completely to waste, because that particular organization is so hick-backwards and unprofessional. That's what chaps my hide...

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Got my acceptance e-mail. It was actually sent to me this past Saturday! Is AICP doing 6-day weeks to keep up with the workload?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2005

Still waiting...

Tomorrow is the notification deadline, yes? Mine is still pending. Yes, I know I awaited until the deadline to apply, but it's a little ridiculous to have to wait two months to find out if I'm deemed eligible to sit for a planning exam. The longer it takes, the more I wonder why I'm doing this. I don't really have a good answer to that other than "it's easier to do it now in case I ever want/need it in the future."

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by flaneuse View post
    Tomorrow is the notification deadline, yes? Mine is still pending. Yes, I know I awaited until the deadline to apply, but it's a little ridiculous to have to wait two months to find out if I'm deemed eligible to sit for a planning exam. The longer it takes, the more I wonder why I'm doing this. I don't really have a good answer to that other than "it's easier to do it now in case I ever want/need it in the future."
    So!?! Did you ever hear or what?!?

I'm reaping the benefits of your FAQ threads right now, but having trouble locating low cost (read: free) flashcards with which to study. My search continues...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2005
    APA sent an email last Thursday (their notification deadline) to say it would be another week and that we'd know by this Thursday the 29th. I just logged on a few minutes ago and saw mine was finally approved today. So I guess now I have to start studying.

Registered
    Jul 2011
    For what it's worth, I applied about a month before the deadline. I got my response literally on the last day of the 10th week.

Based on that pace, you should get confirmation in 2 weeks or so (assuming you waited 2 months already) - though it could be longer if they got flooded by last minute applications. In other words, I don't trust the APA's quoted timeline

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2005
    This must be the quietest AICP exam thread ever. Anyone taken it this month yet? I keep rescheduling mine - was supposed to take it today, eventually juggled it to a week from Saturday, might change it to the 21st. I need to study a lot more since I haven't done much other than go through the Planetizen course sections and quizzes and a couple of their practice exams.

Registered
    Jul 2011
    This must be the quietest AICP exam thread ever. Anyone taken it this month yet? I keep rescheduling mine - was supposed to take it today, eventually juggled it to a week from Saturday, might change it to the 21st. I need to study a lot more since I haven't done much other than go through the Planetizen course sections and quizzes and a couple of their practice exams.
    Yes I took it on Monday and passed.

Planetizen is ok, but you'll want additional resources. I also used this site: http://www.planningprep.com/ and also purchased flashcards and a book (neither were good), plus I got a hold of an old PA APA preparation disk. I've also heard folks recommend reading the green book, but I didn't.

Most of these resources were ok for general knowledge, but in all honesty I'd say they helped on only about 50% of the questions. The other 50% involved stuff that wasn't covered in the materials I studied, or dealt strictly with the AICP code of ethics (and/or how it's applied). I know I simply had to guess on multiple questions (some of which I felt I got right just based on the list of choices provided).

Also, don't stress as you're going through the test... I could have sworn by the 3rd question or so I was going to fail, but then seemed to hit patches of "softball" questions.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2005
    Congrats! Yeah, I have the PA chapter materials too, plus the APA's Everyday Ethics book. Oh, and the CPC stuff, but I haven't really looked at that much yet. I figure between all that, it should be enough. Not trying to go crazy over it, just pass.

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Tarf View post
    Yes I took it on Monday and passed.

Planetizen is ok, but you'll want additional resources. I also used this site: http://www.planningprep.com/ and also purchased flashcards and a book (neither were good), plus I got a hold of an old PA APA preparation disk. I've also heard folks recommend reading the green book, but I didn't.

Most of these resources were ok for general knowledge, but in all honesty I'd say they helped on only about 50% of the questions. The other 50% involved stuff that wasn't covered in the materials I studied, or dealt strictly with the AICP code of ethics (and/or how it's applied). I know I simply had to guess on multiple questions (some of which I felt I got right just based on the list of choices provided).

Also, don't stress as you're going through the test... I could have sworn by the 3rd question or so I was going to fail, but then seemed to hit patches of "softball" questions.
    Awesome! Glad to hear you passed!

Um... were there a bunch of questions about statistics? I'm really weak on stats.

Were dates important? Like 'In what year did Roosevelt establish the Inland Waterway Commission?'

How about court cases? Was there a lot of total recall required on cases like 'Walk v. California Walking Commission'?

What was the nature of the 50% of the questions you guessed on? You said it wasn't covered in the materials... what was it concerning?

Anyway - I've been reading out of my 4" binder of study materials I've built over the past month, and about 300 flashcards I D/L'd. I hope it's enough. The green book is stuff I do everyday, so it seems like wasted time to read about it.

I think the body of knowledge is too broad to read & study everything, so I guess it'll be what it'll be. I take my test @ 8:00 this Thursday morning.

Registered
    Nov 2009

Waiting until the last day...

I'm taking it here in Rochester, NY on the 21st as well. I'll admit I haven't been as dedicated as I probably should have been with studying. However, like others it seems, I've been reading a lot of downloaded materials, including:
    • 2009-2010 CPC study manual (TY Wisconsin APA)
    • APA ethics code
    • 2008 Planetizen study course (thanks to a generous co-worker)
    • PA PDC study notes (2007)
    • Planning Prep
    • Exam Prep slides from various chapters
    • Study Shack

I also used plannersreference.com. There's a great interactive timeline up to 2006 that includes cases, landmark plans, people, acts, etc. Very helpful. I'll continue to study as best I can the remaining week and see what Monday brings. Best of luck to anyone else taking it between now and the 21st!

By the way, any indications on whether 2010 census facts would be on the exam??? I'd imagine it's probably too soon for that.

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally posted by WhenIGrowUp View post
    Awesome! Glad to hear you passed!

Um... were there a bunch of questions about statistics? I'm really weak on stats.

Were dates important? Like 'In what year did Roosevelt establish the Inland Waterway Commission?'

How about court cases? Was there a lot of total recall required on cases like 'Walk v. California Walking Commission'?

What was the nature of the 50% of the questions you guessed on? You said it wasn't covered in the materials... what was it concerning?

Anyway - I've been reading out of my 4" binder of study materials I've built over the past month, and about 300 flashcards I D/L'd. I hope it's enough. The green book is stuff I do everyday, so it seems like wasted time to read about it.

I think the body of knowledge is too broad to read & study everything, so I guess it'll be what it'll be. I take my test @ 8:00 this Thursday morning.

Let's see... statistics. I don't remember there being much on statistics, though I can't recall whether I got any census questions (which would have been the only ones with statistics). At any rate, statistics didn't account for very many questions.

Dates... only important in certain situations - for example, I think there was at least one question dealing with the housing acts, and you had to know the right year (since all the choices were housing acts). As far as other laws, no, dates generally weren't important.

Court cases.... yes there were some, but I think only one of the cases I saw on the test was a case I hadn't heard of. The rest were your standard Nollan, Dolan, Hadacheck v. Sebastian, etc. The one case I hadn't heard of I was able to guess because the other choices were cases I knew and knew weren't correct.

The 50% I guessed on probably dealt with management and budget techniques. To be frank, I don't really recall which ones I had problems with - I think a number of them weren't so much things I hadn't studied, but rather had answers that were difficult to choose between.

Good luck on the test. If you studied well, you should do fine. Also, don't worry about the time... I don't think ANYONE takes the full amount of time to complete that test.

Registered
    Nov 2009

Thanksgiving indeed!

I can breathe a good sigh of relief - the AICP exam is now behind me and I passed! I have drank the AICP kool aid and am now one of many... I just need to pay my dues first!

What a crazy exam. The practice questions I took were not quite the same as the exam in terms of how they asked questions, but that's probably because I didn't pay for any good ones! Either way, it seemed like they had a roundabout way of asking questions. The first few questions, I didn't feel confident at all, then I got some "softball" questions just like Tarf mentioned and felt a little better. I feel as though the studying I did prepared me, but at the same time it didn't.

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally posted by woodsyguy81 View post
    I can breathe a good sigh of relief - the AICP exam is now behind me and I passed! I have drank the AICP kool aid and am now one of many... I just need to pay my dues first!

What a crazy exam. The practice questions I took were not quite the same as the exam in terms of how they asked questions, but that's probably because I didn't pay for any good ones! Either way, it seemed like they had a roundabout way of asking questions. The first few questions, I didn't feel confident at all, then I got some "softball" questions just like Tarf mentioned and felt a little better. I feel as though the studying I did prepared me, but at the same time it didn't.

Congratulations!

*AICP High Five*

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2005
    Congrats! I passed too, and I share your feelings about the test and studying. When I was done, I just kept thinking that it was a weird exam, and I don't know how I could have studied any differently for it than I did to have felt better about it during the test! I did the Planetizen course and also used the CPC manual and PA chapter materials. So I'm not really sure what, exactly, it means that I passed, but I did, so once they take another 8+ weeks to send my AICP invoice, I'll have those little letters after my name at work.

Registered
    Aug 2008
    congrats to those who passed! i took the exam too and managed to pass, although i'm not sure how. good study prep materials, especially sample tests, and 2-3 hours daily for about 2-3 weeks gave me the confidence i needed to feel comfortable when i sat down to take the test. like others have said, most of that confidence goes out the window with the first handful of questions, btu once i got a few easy questions under my belt i cruised to the finish line. now back to the waiting game for an official confirmation.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 25 Nov 2011, 10:59 PM
  2. Caption Contest: 6 November 2011
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 07 Nov 2011, 8:34 AM
  3. Caption Contest: 3 November 2011
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6