Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Most American city

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Most American city

My nominee: Kansas City, Missouri and the surrounding metropolitan area. KC is truly the "most American" of American metros, IMHO. Why?

* Mid-sized metro with slow but steady growth. Not a boom town, not a Rust Belt basket case, but still healthy.
    * Diverse mix of white and blue collar industries (auto manufacturing to many Fortune 500 companies),
    * "Kinder gentler" sprawl (at least on the eyes; low density 'burbs with very strict architectural design, landscaping and signage standards) but with urban neighborhoods that, with some exceptions, remain fairly vibrant,
    * Wide variety of architecture
    * Gently rolling landscape; not too flat, not too hilly.
    * Hot summers and cold winters; typical of North America's more extreme climate.
    * Ethnically diverse, as still attracting immigrants from around the world.
    * Home to many American food and music traditions.
    * Native "newscaster accent".
    * Politically moderate; somewhat more conservative on the Kansas side, somewhat more liberal on the Missouri side.
    * Not a high-profile region, not much hipster cred, and not much planner cred.
    * Bonus points for being in the Midwest, probably the most iconically "American" region of all parts of the country.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I say Cincinnati, OH.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    My nominee: Kansas City, Missouri and the surrounding metropolitan area. KC is truly the "most American" of American metros, IMHO. Why?.
    Plus its basically smack dab in the middle of the country.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Well I'm clearly being biased on this issue but I say KC as well

'Murica!
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Sacramento CA. Just to provide a western perspective.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Well it all depends on what you mean by American. I vote for the unorthodox New York City because in many ways it epitomizes what like about the USA.

If you mean "middle American" than I think the Kansas City/Saint Louis/Denver group wins out.

Registered
    Sep 2011
    I totally agree with Masswich. In my opinion New York embodies the "American" spirit more than any other. The city is the center for opportunity in all industries, and as a city made up of many cultures, no one in America is really a native in terms of ancestry unless ur of native American descent. So my vote goes to Gotham!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ISny17 View post
    I totally agree with Masswich. In my opinion New York embodies the "American" spirit more than any other. The city is the center for opportunity in all industries, and as a city made up of many cultures, no one in America is really a native in terms of ancestry unless ur of native American descent. So my vote goes to Gotham!
    I agree on NYC, or, for that matter, Chicago. And going far enough back, the Indians' ancestors also immigrated, so their influence in both cities also counts (the city name 'Chicago' is derived from an Aboriginal term, too).

Mike

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I vote for Toledo Ohio.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 27 Feb 2014, 4:48 AM
  2. Death of an American City
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 25 Jul 2006, 10:25 AM
  3. Death of an American city
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 14 Dec 2005, 7:54 PM