Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Interviewing for a job you didn't apply for

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006

Interviewing for a job you didn't apply for

So I have an interview tomorrow for a full time job, but there are a few catches.

1. I didn't apply for this job. I applied for a job advertising for entry-level landMEN (multiple positions) but after passing my resume around the firm, I am interviewing for what now is an entry-level CAD draftsman position.
    2. There are a number of red flags. They only have funding until December and they are currently looking for work AFTER December. I told them I was laid off my last two jobs after busting my butt due to lack of work and I refuse to go through with that garbage again. They still want to interview me for future opportunities if not this contract. The job is way on the other side of Houston (90 mile commute each day round trip).

I didn't say this to them, but I am just going tomorrow for the interview practice. BUT I spent a considerable amount of time tailoring my job application for a landman position. Have any of you been in a similar situation where you applied for one job, but were asked for an interview for something else? I could care less about the draftsman job (I can do that work from home on my own PC as an independent contractor and save gas). But I want to still want to convince them I am capable of learning the ropes of landman work (and THAT is what I am preparing for tomorrow's interview).

Any ideas?
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Jul 2011
    I once had an interview for a GIS position with a public transit organization after I'd applied to the same organization for a planning position. At the time, most of my actual work experience was in GIS, even though that's not what I'd concentrated on in school. The GIS people had gotten my resume from the people I'd originally applied to. I took the interview, and did my best in it to get the position that was offered. The interviewers understood that I didn't have the academic training in GIS, but asked some of their technical questions anyway, which I answered in non-traditional -- but mostly correct -- ways. Regardless, I didn't get the job.

This was an entry-level position that I was interviewing for, and would have been my first real professional job, so I didn't try to deviate from the established path. The interview process is always valuable in honing your skills, but I think you walk a fine line trying to get hired for a job they're not interviewing you for.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Just had the interview. They wanted to hire me immediately for heavy CAD (and possibly GIS) work but they only work through the end of December. After explaining to them that I was laid off my last two jobs due to lack of work, I would not accept any offer unless there were (1) signed contracts for 18 months of work and (2) they were full communication with me 24-7 on the status of their current proposals. They agreed that my demands were not unreasonable. They are currently working at securing an additional year's worth of work but won't have an update for another 1-2 months. I made a note on my spreadsheet to call the interviewer in 4-6 weeks for an update. Until then, back to the job search.

Fortunately, I turned the job interview (for a job I didn't want) into an informational interview to get invaluable insider information about how the ROW and landman industries work in Texas I also have a LinkedIn connection with a former planner who is working for this company doing grunt work and I have been in contact with him for several weeks. I don't know if the company is really disorganized as he says or if he is just getting used to working in consulting after spending his whole planning career in the public sector.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Interviewing for positions out of state
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 15 Aug 2010, 7:12 PM
  2. Re-interviewing / re-applying for jobs
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5