Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Acceptance into planning schools in Texas

Registered
    Jul 2011

Acceptance into planning schools in Texas

I'm applying for MURP next year in my home state of texas preferrably or in the region and I'm concerned with my recent GRE outting

I've got a 3.2 GPA; 450 v, 540 q, and 3.0 AW along with two years of planning experience. I'll have strong recommendation letters from ppl within the planning field as well as a couple of academic to back me and what I perceive to be a compelling personal statement.

Nonetheless, I'm concerned that I will not be accepted into my dream program (UT-Austin MSCRP) and the other four PAB certified programs in TX do not interest me (TX-Southern, TAMU, UT-Arlington). I'm also looking into New Orleans and Arizona State University..

Does anyone have any knowledge of these programs and would care to shine some light on them?

Thanks,

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008
    Recent grad from UT-Austin here; I'd suggest giving UT-Arlington a second look. Although I didn't have any firsthand experience with Arlington, I heard good things about the program from several people in Austin. So just a thought...

Also, any particular reason you're wanting to stay so close to home? With admissions as much of a crapshoot as they are right now, it might make sense to cast a wider net. If nothing else, it will prepare you for the future when you are looking for a job in a few years.
    ]

Registered
    Jul 2011
    I'd like to stay in Texas because of the projected growth down here - tons of development to come and with that planners should be in demand.

The state's development (i.e. land use and transportation network) is highly unique and I think the school's within the area would prepare me best for it.

But i agree, casting a larger net would be a good idea.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 21 Feb 2013, 5:25 AM
  2. Texas planning schools
    Student Commons
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 23 Jul 2010, 5:13 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 24 Jan 2010, 4:05 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 19 May 2008, 6:02 PM