Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Dan about Ithaca

Registered
    Mar 2004

Ask Dan about Ithaca

Dear Dan:

With the proposed increase in fuel economy being agreed upon between the feds and the auto-producers to bring the CAFE up to 54.5 mpg, has there been rioting on the streets of Ithaca? I know that the favorite cars there include large Volvo Wagons and All Wheel Drives typified by Subarus and Chrysler Minivans. There is no way that these models will survive.

If rioting has not yet occured, are the good crunchy people of Ithaca just sheep willing to take whatever the left-wing agenda might dish at them despite thier libratarian and wealthy viewpoints?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Maybe this should be the Neverending Crunchy Ithaca Thread.

Dan;

How many 'Life Is Good' retail shops are there in Ithaca?
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Dan,

How many Ithaca Dollars have you amassed and what is the current exchange rate? If Congress and the President are unable to reach an agreement on the debt ceiling, what will be the effect on the crunchy economy?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    How many 'Life Is Good' retail shops are there in Ithaca?
    The shirts are common, but alas, I haven't seen them in stores here. Why, I don't know. You can easily find ITHACA IS GORGES and its variants (ITHACA IS COLD, ITHACA IS GANGSTA, ITHACA IS HIGH, YOUR MOM IS GORGES, etc), along with the usual Cornell, IC, and politically-oriented messages.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    May 2004
    I wonder if Ithaca is more or less crunchy than Arcata, where I am moving to next week. I suspect it is less crunchy, but more wealthy. Would you say the average Ithaca crunchy person is fairly well off financially?
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    I wonder if Ithaca is more or less crunchy than Arcata, where I am moving to next week. I suspect it is less crunchy, but more wealthy. Would you say the average Ithaca crunchy person is fairly well off financially?
    Arcata is very crunchy but mixed in with a lot of pot smokers/meth heads and other unsavories... say high to the volunteer FD for me.. i miss those guys .

Dan.. I live in college town that has a good mix of conservatives, crunchies, and old farts. Being from a college town, do you see a higher quantity of hotties than normal towns? My town has a lot of hotties..maybe it is the beach, but a very large chuck of the student age population is quite hot. How does Ithica compare?
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    My town has a lot of hotties..maybe it is the beach, but a very large chuck of the student age population is quite hot. How does Ithica compare?
    Which brings up another good crunchy question. Do many of the hot (and not so hot) crunchy chicks refuse to shave their armpits and legs? I find that to be the case. While I appreciate women who shave themselves, I don't find it all that gross like some of my male cohorts.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Which brings up another good crunchy question. Do many of the hot (and not so hot) crunchy chicks refuse to shave their armpits and legs? I find that to be the case. While I appreciate women who shave themselves, I don't find it all that gross like some of my male cohorts.
    I feel like this must be a crunchy women philosophical question that is posed every day.... should I shave or not? Does it make me less crunchy if I shave?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2006
    imaplanner, Hink_Planner & CPSURaf, way to drag the thread off-topic. Can we get back to Dan and Ithaca?
    Ah, didn't have my coffee this a.m., no offense intended.
    Last edited by ofos; 27 Jul 2011 at 12:23 PM.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I can't get to everything, but ... okay, the entomology of Ithaca's hotties. I don't want to get into trouble for that, so I'll just PM you if you want to know.

Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    I feel like this must be a crunchy women philosophical question that is posed every day.... should I shave or not? Does it make me less crunchy if I shave?
    No makeup, long straight hair, no hair dye, colorful flowing dresses. I've only seen a few hairy pits. It's hard to tell if hairy legs are common among the crunchy crowd, because the sundresses cover them. There seems to be two major categories of hippie women; big "Earth mothers", and the skinnier flower child-type. The hippie influence crosses over; you'll probably see less makeup and hair dye on the more "normal" townie women here than in a typical American city.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    I can't get to everything, but ... okay, the entomology of Ithaca's hotties.
    Entomology or etymology? I mean, are you referring to clever insects or cunning linguists?

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Honorable Ithaca Ambassador Dan;

Have the streets of your fair community been celebrating the recent passage of SSM in NYS?

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Contra selection

Dan, which of the babes in this video would you like to see extend a hand and plead with your handsome self to dance with her?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    imaplanner, Hink_Planner & CPSURaf, way to drag the thread off-topic. Can we get back to Dan and Ithaca?
    Ah, didn't have my coffee this a.m., no offense intended.
    Well excuuuuuseeee me. No offense taken.

So back on track -

Do all the Ithicanites support the wine trails? As a corollary, do these people act more drunk or high or both at one time?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Dan, is there any possibility of getting that obnoxious NY 13 through traffic off of Ithaca's sacred city streets? Ditto those pathetically dirty coal trains out of that pristine lakefront park?

I'm also wondering if there are any plans to schedule 'clothing optional' days at those waterfall parks.

(Yes, I've roadtripped though Ithaca a couple of times about ten or so years ago.)

BTW, IMHO, Ithaca city and Ithaca township should merge into one city.

Mike

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Dear Dan

Have you taken the boozehounds for a walk down to Taughannock Falls yet?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Dear Dan,
    We've seen the photos of the volvos and heard the stories about the crunchy behaviour. Do you honestly exptect us to believe there are no vestiges of chewiness in this town? Surely not eveyone is not a vegetarian/Buddhist/hippie. There must be a few token shooting ranges, smoky bowling alleys, 'Jim's Tavern' or other evidence of 'RUGGEDNESS" present somewhere in the community. If so, what are those?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Dan, which of the babes in this video would you like to see extend a hand and plead with your handsome self to dance with her?
    Either Black Shirt And Rolled Up Jeans Girl, or Red Dress Girl.

Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    Have the streets of your fair community been celebrating the recent passage of SSM in NYS?
    Very much. However, the lines out the door that were predicted didn't come to pass. One of my coworkers believes it's because many Ithacans, regardless of sexual orientation, believe that marriage is an outmoded institution, and that a handfasting or commitment ceremony of some sort is enough. Basically, "We're really excited that we have the right to marry now, but as a couple, we really don't want to."

Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    Do all the Ithicanites support the wine trails? As a corollary, do these people act more drunk or high or both at one time?
    Very much. It's not just the tourism dollars, but it complements the area's very strong locavore movement. Living here, though, you have to develop a taste for white wine. Local Rieslings are quite good.

The wine trails seem popular among the well-heeled fiftysomething crowd from Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Southern Ontario, and other surrounding areas.

Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    Dan, is there any possibility of getting that obnoxious NY 13 through traffic off of Ithaca's sacred city streets? Ditto those pathetically dirty coal trains out of that pristine lakefront park?
    Nope. It's the price we have to pay for having no limited-access through highways. Most residents know the cure for The Octopus may be worse than the disease.

I'm also wondering if there are any plans to schedule 'clothing optional' days at those waterfall parks.
    In New York State, it's legal for women to be topless in public, so every day can be a "clothing optional" day. There are unofficial but well-known clothing optional areas in many area parks, akin to the officially sanctioned Hippie Hollow area in Austin.

Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Have you taken the boozehounds for a walk down to Taughannock Falls yet?
    It's a state park, and I don't have an Empire Pass yet. I take them to the dog park, Cornell-owned nature preserves (most considered off-leash), state forests, or Six Mile Creek.

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    We've seen the photos of the volvos and heard the stories about the crunchy behaviour. Do you honestly exptect us to believe there are no vestiges of chewiness in this town? Surely not eveyone is not a vegetarian/Buddhist/hippie. There must be a few token shooting ranges, smoky bowling alleys, 'Jim's Tavern' or other evidence of 'RUGGEDNESS" present somewhere in the community. If so, what are those?
    In town ... honestly, almost nothing, except a small Tea Party group, and an AM conservative talk radio station. (It's offset by an AM liberal talk radio station and two FM community stations, one broadcasting a lot of Pacifica Radio programming. Ever hear Pacifica programming? It's far to the left of progressive hosts such as Ed Schultz, Alan Colmes and the beautiful Stephanie Miller. We're taking deep Noam Chomsky/Free Mumia/"We ♥♥♥♥♥ Hugo Chavez"/"everything AmeriKKKa stands for is wrong"/"Israel is worse than Nazi Germany" turf.) You might be able to find a copy of National Review or The American Spectator at Wegmans or Barnes & Noble. There's a Walmart Supercenter on Elmira Road, but it seems oddly empty compared to every other Walmart I've visited. There's an Agway in the city, where one can get Carhartt clothing and Red Wing boots.

At the fringes of the country, you'll encounter more "RUGGEDness"; probably more so than in the Buffalo area, because the region basically sits at the northern end of the foothills of the Appalachians. There's more of a "live and let live" mindset, though, and there's a lot of back-to-the-land folks and permaculturalists among the RUGGED! rural types.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    [former resident]

Is there still an extension/additional phase subdivision proposed for the end of Meadowlark Drive?

[/former resident]
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Dear Dan,

Have you ever gone to Dryden and picked your own blueberries?

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Did you see any of the cyclists pass through downtown today?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Dan - Does Ithaca have a macy*s and if not, does Ithaca plan to offer economic incentives to lure them there?
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    One quote I've heard: "Ithaca is a city of Cornell students and Brown graduates."

Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    How many Ithaca Dollars have you amassed and what is the current exchange rate?
    You know, I've never even seen a real Ithaca Hour. One supposedly has to be deep counterculture to get regular exposure to them. Maybe I'll get a few tomorrow, and take a picture. It's an interesting concept.

Would you say the average Ithaca crunchy person is fairly well off financially?
    Ithaca has the same dynamics as many college towns; too many overeducated people, and not enough jobs. A major consideration of prospective Cornell and IC staff is whether their spouses can find work in their chosen fields. Too often, the answer is "no". Professional positions here tend to pay less than in major cities nearby -- supply and demand, remember -- with the double-whammy of housing that is quite expensive for upstate New York. The quest for affordable housing is the main driver of urban sprawl here, followed by the appeal of back-to-the-land living among many.

One mystery is "what do all of these crunchy folks do for a living?" The answer: the area has a LOT of small non-profit organizations, small publishers, artisans, healers, massage studios, yoga studios, counselors, shamans, Volvo mechanics, spiritual healers, and the like. I think there's a circular economy; the counselor pays dues to the vegan advocacy group, the director of the vegan advocacy group gets massages every week, the massage therapist does yoga every week, the yoga instructor sees a spiritual healer every week, the spiritual healer gets their words of wisdom in print through a local publisher, the publisher gets his Volvo repaired by a bearded shade tree mechanic, the bearded shade tree mechanic sees a counselor every week ... that closed economic ecosystem is probably where most of the Ithaca Hours are.

Very few parts of the city have that spotless, polished, gentrified to within an inch of their lives-looks that peer communities like Boulder have. Ithaca is a somewhat gritty town, but it's by choice. The "keep it natural, man" mindset is a major factor in the city's character. In some neighborhoods, you'll see blocks of weatherbeaten houses with scruffy yards, but residents are middle-class or wealthier.

People in cities like Austin will often reminisce "It was a lot better [20|30] years ago, before we were discovered and all the Californians came here." Ithaca is like that Californicated city before it was discovered.

Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Dan - Does Ithaca have a macy*s and if not, does Ithaca plan to offer economic incentives to lure them there?
    No Macy's. Bon-Ton is as good as it gets, and it's a really small store. Locals make road trips to Carousel Mall in Syracuse or Arnot Mall in Horseheads for mainstream mall shopping.

Incentives for retail? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That's funny.

Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    Did you see any of the cyclists pass through downtown today?
    Nope. I was in Collegetown, on a lunch date. She bailed after a half hour. I'm such a loser.

EDIT: you planner-types might enjoy our version of a code violation. (It's not in the community where I work.)

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    I'm such a loser.
    But you're our loser and we love you, man!

wipes away small tear running down face

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Dan,

It seems you're always showing downtown Ithaca and the crunchy part of Ithaca. Is there any big-box development on the outskirts of town, large industry, warehouses? Dare I say...sprawling subdivisions? I could look on Google Earth, but I'm too lazy and I like your perspective on things.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 22
    Last post: 24 Jun 2013, 10:04 AM
  2. Overheard (AIB overheard in Ithaca)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 06 Dec 2012, 1:02 PM
  3. Ithaca, New York: Enfield Glen