Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ask Dan about Ithaca

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Okay, you mentioned on another thread that you're in the finger lakes region - an area known for its viticulture - are oenophile influences highly visible, and if so how/where do you see it (e.g. do hot dog stands and truck stops offer Heron Hill, Barrington Cellars or Torrey Ridge?)

More importantly what beers are popular around Ithaca?
    The wine influence well, aside from the wine trails, vineyards, tastings rooms, and so on, you really see it in the wine lists of local restaurants, where Finger Lakes wines will be predominant, not just a novelty at the bottom of a list of vintages from California and France.. Local liquor stores have New York/Finger Lakes sections that comprise an entire aisle or wall. Just as liquor stores elsewhere have large sections for individual countries, one area liquor store has good-sized sections for each individual lake, and for the other viticultural regions in the state.

Red varietal grapes don't do well here, and the best wines tend to be the German white varietals. There's not really the same expensive vintages as you might see with red varietals. You'd be hard pressed to spend more than $20 for a bottle of local wine, unless it's an exceptional Seneca or Keuka Riesling. The local wine scene doesn't have much pretense; there's a lot of armchair sommeliers, but they're not going to be turning up their noses at anything that's not a Dr. Frank or other upper tier Seneca. They'll appreciate Red Cat or Kiss My Ass for what it is.

The local beer scene is growing. Ithaca Beer recently expanded their brewery, and built a new taproom. Ithaca Pale Ale probably the most popular beer here. The distribution range of Ithaca Beer is limited to a few Northeastern states and Ohio. There's also two brewpubs in town; Bandwagon and Scale House, and many more beer bars. In suburban Ithaca, there's Bacchus Brewing and Hopshire Farms in Dryden, and Rogues' Harbor in Lansing.

Cortland is our blue collar "town next door". They have Cortland Beer Company; Kegs, growlers and bombers only, with very limited distribution.

Microbreweries and picobreweries are popping up everywhere in the surrounding region, but relatively few bottle; it's mostly kegs, growlers or on-site consumption.

There's a Finger Lakes Beer Trail now. There's also a movement throughout the state to consider craft brewing and distilling as an agricultural value-added operation, in the same way that winemaking is now.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    ... There's a Finger Lakes Beer Trail now.
    There's also a Finger Lakes Cheese Trail. I've tried a couple of those locally-produced cheeses. Yum.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Best way to anger an Ithacan.

Best way to make an Ithacan happy.

From here.

Registered
    Dec 2012
    Dear Dan,

I would be shifting to ithaca this fall. I was hoping you can guide me to some crunchy spicy food places, preferably hippie-free. Also a current demographic information would be highly appreciated.

I hope you re still shedding light on living in eco-village.

peace.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by kushan.dave View post
    I would be shifting to ithaca this fall. I was hoping you can guide me to some crunchy spicy food places, preferably hippie-free. Also a current demographic information would be highly appreciated..
    Anything in the Collegetown area. The neighborhood is packed with ethnic restaurants; Indian, Thai, Japanese, and Korean predominating. Locals don't venture up to Collegetown much, except during the summer when Cornell students return to their hometowns.

Although the town is packed with hippies, the restaurant scene here is dominated by artisan/locavore/gastropub foodie, Asian ethnic, and Asian international student ethnic. Chains aren't nearly as common as in a similarly sized community. For some reason, Thai food is the most popular. I think we're up to eight Thai restaurants now. Despite the abundance of hippie types, I really don't encounter many at area restaurants, except for the Moosewood, the food stands at the Farmers' Market, and the sit-down salad bar/coffee areas at the co-ops.

I realized yesterday, when I was out having sushi ... little Ithaca also has eight Japanese restaurants..

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    From Ithacating in Cornell Heights, a local development-related blog:

That being said, I’m willing to take a few somewhat educated guesses of the most commonly registered vehicles in Ithaca. For one, the ubiquitous Volvos that can be found in the Ithaca area. If any particular models stand out, it’d probably be the 240 models from pre-1993, 800 series models from the mid 1990s and maybe some of the 900 series models of the later 1990s. I’d be impressed if anyone travelling through the greater Ithaca area can go five minutes on the road without seeing the pride of Sweden in the next lane. Not to say that Volvos don’t have their attractions. They’re known for their safety and for great heating systems that prove useful for Ithaca’s long winters. Plus, in terms of cars defining people, Volvo tends to be one of those brands popular with the college faculty crowd, i.e. liberals with higher incomes.Volvos are so ingrained into the community culture that the Ithaca festival features a Volvo ballet, where they decorate the cars in “tutus” and perform on city streets.

Another brand of vehicles popular with the collegetown crowd would be Japanese automaker Subaru (fun fact of the day: Subaru is the Japanese name for the Pleaides star cluster. This becomes readily apparent once you consider the Subaru emblem). The most popular model by my guess would be the Outback wagon of the mid 2000s or the post-2000 Subaru Forester. What makes Subaru popular is that it tends to attract the same New Age crowd that Ithaca tends to attract. To quote a Denver paper that noted they were the most popular car in college town Boulder:

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2013
    What is Ithaca like? Did you attend Cornell?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Ares View post
    What is Ithaca like?
    Ithaca is wet.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Best way to anger an Ithacan.

Best way to make an Ithacan happy.

From here.
    Based on the cartoons, don't come to Kansas. I'm not even sure I would be welcome there, I fall somewhere in the middle with a sports car and a hybrid Escape.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    Based on the cartoons, don't come to Kansas. I'm not even sure I would be welcome there, I fall somewhere in the middle with a sports car and a hybrid Escape.
    I can see folks in Kansas mistaking Escapes as sports cars! I am 90% sold on getting a C-max as my next car. That is pretty sporty, and it looks like the offspring if an Escape and a Focus had a baby!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    I can see folks in Kansas mistaking Escapes as sports cars! I am 90% sold on getting a C-max as my next car. That is pretty sporty, and it looks like the offspring if an Escape and a Focus had a baby!
    Folks in Kansas think a 4 door pickup truck is a limo. I should point out the Mustang Bullet is mine, the Escape hybrid is my wife's. Escape's aren't that bad, we can cram the two kids and two adults easily into it, but seating for five implies not using booster or car seats. The gas mileage is pretty good on it too. The C-Max looks like it has more family room in it than the escape. I won't try to reference the Mustang as a family car, that would be offensive to the Mustang.

Registered
    Mar 2004

OK......

Do Ithacans make eye contact, or do they walk around looking at their feet?
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Is there a rivalry between Cornell and Ithaca College? I figured the IC stduents would be jealously or resentment towards their Ivy League counterparts.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Is there a rivalry between Cornell and Ithaca College? I figured the IC stduents would be jealously or resentment towards their Ivy League counterparts.
    Not in sports. Cornell's rivals vary from sport to sport, but IC isn't among them. Everybody loves Cornell hockey and lacrosse.

The paths of Cornell and IC students really don't cross that much. Cornell students -- at least the undergrads -- hang out in Collegetown, while IC students overun downtown after about 9:00 or 10:00 PM.

IC has a channel on the local cable system. (IC's various media-related programs are very strong.) ICTV airs a bunch of student produced original series, One was a Laguna Beach-like parody that took place at Cornell called Ivy

From what I've heard, Cornell students think IC students are easy.

Outside of academia, Cornell grads and faculty often credentialize, which leads to some resentment among those who aren't associated with Cornell. I get a lot of email opposing some project or another, and if it's from a faculty member at Cornell, they'll let you know it. This almost never happens with IC faculty or grads.

Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Do Ithacans make eye contact, or do they walk around looking at their feet?
    Haven't really noticed any more or less eye contact than anyplace else I lived. The emo crowd really isn't that prevalent.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Comparison with the Town Next Door ...

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    And a followup:

Fracking makes the headlines of the local paper at least once a week, and usually more. It is the area's number one hot-button issue, almost to the point of obsession.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    And, along that same theme ...

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Remind me to ask you about fracking if it ever comes around here. Then you can send some fracking coffee.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Dan, is that fracking coffee injected into the consumer under high pressure to release natural gas? Doesn't seem environmentally friendly, does it?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    Dan,

Ithaca Comets - Good for the city or bad? Will they last or will the attendance be low? Seems NY is stacked with AHL teams.

I spent about 3 weeks in Cortland two or three years ago. Wasn't so bad. Also spent a fair bit of that time in Marathon.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    Dan,

Ithaca Comets - Good for the city or bad.
    Never heard of them. Googled around, and found the Utica Comets. Cornell hockey is the big thing around here, even among us townies.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    Never heard of them. Googled around, and found the Utica Comets. Cornell hockey is the big thing around here, even among us townies.
    Duh, Utica and Ithaca sound close right?! Don't I look foolish! Carry on, nothing to see here.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    Duh, Utica and Ithaca sound close right?! Don't I look foolish! Carry on, nothing to see here.
    So Dan, any more prison riots happening there lately?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Why are Ithacans aromatic?
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    Why are Ithacans aromatic?
    I think it's the hippie influence - being "natural", thinking of soaps and deodorants as unnatural chemicals, and so on. Thing is, they don't see their body odor in the same way others see smoking, as an unwanted intrusion into their personal space, because they believe it's "natural", and "natural" is always good.

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 22
    Last post: 24 Jun 2013, 10:04 AM
  2. Overheard (AIB overheard in Ithaca)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 06 Dec 2012, 1:02 PM
  3. Ithaca, New York: Enfield Glen
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 10