Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Parking space size

Registered
    Jul 2011

Parking space size

We want to add 1 parking space to our small condominium in Fort Lauderdale. This would mean re-striping the lot and reducing the existing spaces (perpendicular to the street). The average space is now 8 feet 7 inches. If I pave another five feet and re-stripe the spaces will shrink to about 8 feet 4 inches. Will local land use laws govern this re-striping?

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Yes, the City's municipal code should have standards for parking space dimensions. If it doesn't, then it would be my interpretation that your jurisdiction doesn't regulate that, though I have yet to find one that doesn't (but I'm limited to California, where we regulate everything).

You also may want to check with your local city planning department to make sure your proposed restriping doesn't require city approval (or county approval... or borough approval... depending on where you live ). Sometimes parking is a requirement of some other permit, and to change it may represent a violation of some previously approved permit (such as a planned development permit, etc.).

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Doesn't look like it; Ft. Lauderdale's minimum stall width is 8'-8".

http://library.municode.com/index.as...tename=Florida

Call your planning department.

EDIT: That link doesn't take you to the right place, but it gets you to the Ft. Lauderdale MuniCode. Go to the development regulations and then to parking and loading standards.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Jul 2011

Got it!

I searched everywhere for that code. You took me by the hand and brought me to it. thanks!

Registered
    Nov 2009
    In finding their parking lot geometrics in 47-20.11, I'm surprised to see that their dimensions are not just to the inch, but even fractions of an inch. A stall depth for 45 degree angled parking really needs to be 19' feet, 1 inch, and an eighth of an inch? Would there be chaos if the dimension was an eighth inch less, much less 1-1/8" and just be 19'? Would the site be out of compliance if a zoning inspector only measured 19' feet and 1-1/16 inch?

If you're going down to fractions of an inch, maybe the spec needs to specify if this is measured from center of stripe or edge of stripe?

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally posted by UrbaneSprawler View post
    In finding their parking lot geometrics in 47-20.11, I'm surprised to see that their dimensions are not just to the inch, but even fractions of an inch.
    LOL somebody needs to work on their CAD dimensions for significant digits. Bad draftsman, no donut!

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Random Traffic Guy, I don't think this is a CAD issue, the image below is a snapshot of their table from the website. These folks really seem to want to measure stall dimensions down to an eighth of an inch.

Photobucket is forcing the resize so it's not perhaps as clear but for 45 degree, both D & F are down to an eighth of an inch. Same with D on 60 degree. I personally don't get why dimensions should be down further than the nearest foot, let alone inch and fractional inches.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    I would say that it was a CAD issue in that somebody rotated the normal 90* space and then measured the dimensions, and wrote them down on the table too without thinking about it. PEBCAK. That 1/8 and other fractional inches are probably still rounded from whatever precision the CAD program tracks, but it is rounded to a level that isn't useful. Most standards do show to the inch, as it is important in some cases, and can be measured in the field.

It is annoying when standards are applied and the rounding or stacking of tolerances ends up with some little bits or bobs left over, but after a certain level of precision, who cares? It is paint or very movable thermoplastic on concrete or movable asphalt, not building finishes or machine tools.

Edit: inevitably, as a consultant I will likely want to post a rant next week about lack of precision or explanation in some city's codes... I will try to remember this thread when the urge to rant hits me.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    If the CAD guy is the one who in the end implements the standards in the code without oversight by a planner/engineer in review of the standards, then I think that's the larger issue. The CAD person doesn't need to work in reality but the planner/engineer should in doing the review of the work.

There are certainly instances when precision is needed to fractions of an inch. I could I guess see parking stall dimensions going down to half a foot precision. But really, 8 foot 8 inches in parking stall width vs. just 8.5 or 9?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Random Traffic Guy View post
    LOL somebody needs to work on their CAD dimensions for significant digits. Bad draftsman, no donut!
    he.. from the look of that drawing, I'd say that it's older than CAD applications.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by bsimbole View post
    I searched everywhere for that code. You took me by the hand and brought me to it. thanks!
    This is Cyburbia. This is what we do.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    This is Cyburbia. This is what we do.
    (polite clap) Well served Emma-Em!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Parallel parking space dimensions
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 07 Sep 2012, 4:31 PM
  2. Parking space guidelines
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 05 Jun 2012, 12:19 PM
  3. Replies: 34
    Last post: 17 Oct 2007, 2:40 PM