Urban planning community

Poll results: How do we draft the new contracted leagues?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Repick all players

5 62.50%
  • Keep three players deleted teams players enter player pool.

3 37.50%
  • Some other crazy idea

0 0%
  • Why do you hate America

0 0%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: League Contraction Poll

Registered
    Jul 1998

League Contraction Poll

So, lets vote on this.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

I just think it's fairer this year to drop the keepers and start fresh. If we keep the same number next year, we can go back to keepers.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jan 2005
    If we repick, is anyone willing in the north to be commissioner? If not, is anyone in the north willing to trade divisions with me so I can do it?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I think the league should be contracted to 12 teams in one division. Start with the most the longest in the league and go down the list until wither all 12 spaces fill up or there is an opening.

Another thought would be to create a senior league with 10 teams and a junior league with everyone else. The bottom 2 teams from the senior circuit get demoted to the junior circuit and the top two teams get promoted. The two promoted teams get last pick for their keepers in the senior circuit and the relegated teams get top pick of their keeps in the junior circuit. For this year the senior league is the top 5 teams from the north and south and the remainder goes to the junior league.

Overall, I like the keepers but understand this will be transitional year for FF.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I like where your mind is at Brocktoon.

Currently we have 16 people who are interested. I would argue that we will lose people though if we only let 12 people play for glory.

Unless we can recruit maybe 4 more people for a total of 20 people and we make each league 10 people, I don't think the EPL model will work for us.

I don't exactly like Keepers either, but it does shorten our draft (which already takes forever).
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    I like where your mind is at Brocktoon.

Currently we have 16 people who are interested. I would argue that we will lose people though if we only let 12 people play for glory.

Unless we can recruit maybe 4 more people for a total of 20 people and we make each league 10 people, I don't think the EPL model will work for us.

I don't exactly like Keepers either, but it does shorten our draft (which already takes forever).
    I hate the draft...a month is too long and too much happens during the pre-season. If the draft was live withs drafts "" then it would be my favorite part.

Because of the draft I am one of those willing to walk away.

As for the upper and lower divisions the lower division is meant for the casual player who is passive in FF or those that want more than 1 team or the person that wants to take a year off. The upper division is meant for those that play year in and year out. The promotion part is for those that want to get serious again but makes them earn it.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Nov 2003
    MS, Not Margaritaville, though we are building one
    One of the things we have tried at our office is to shorten the bench. If we did that and slightly modified the offensive starters (drop the WR/R slot and a WR slot), we could contract back into one league.

The short bench made the waiver wire a huge factor for strategy and picking up unexpected talent. We also had one IR slot that helped keep you from dropping talent just to fill a hole.

The catch to this is the office is an 8 team league. We only had 5 bench slots, but there was still enough talent in FA to make 2-4 more teams competitive. So if we went this route, I don't doubt that we will have to look deep to fill rosters. But, it might be fun.

Anyway, it is just an idea I thought I would share since we are posting those.

Also, live or auto draft would be awesome since we don't have keepers.
    “Ahh! Beer. So many choices. And it makes so little difference."
    - Bender

Registered
    Jan 2005
    So if we were to do two leagues -

The Cyburbia Premier League
    Relegation Central League

Who would the managers be? Do we go off of the top four from each league last year? Or who has played the longest? I will need help with the North division since I don't have final standings....

Top from last year would be:

CPL:
    From the North:
    ?

From the South:
    Ioweigions - Giff
    AZ Expialidocious - TheOne
    AZ Monkey Spankers - Brocktoon
    Gazelle Intensity - Joe
    SIN-C Assassins - Hink

RCL:
    From the North:
    ?

From the South:
    Coastal Captains - Dragon
    Big Easy King - Big Easy King
    N.O. - Planderella
    So Cal - Raf

=============================================

Longest Playing:
    The issue is who do you pick...

The best I can tell...
    Mastiff
    Planderella
    Giff
    Tranplanner
    TheOne
    plankton
    Dragon
    Big Easy King
    Duke

All these people started in either 2004 or 2005. How do you pick out 8? Those who have been around longer... maybe you can help fill in the blanks...

Personally I think the top 4 from each league last year makes the most sense... but I am up for whatever...

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Hink- for the first year I would go with the top 10 from last year that want to play and thats your premier league. The relagation league is everyone else and those in the premiere league that want a second team.

Registered
    Feb 2003

Fear the Chum Bucket

I'll commish the North. I commish another yahoo league so I know the drill. I always take a trip to the north woods of Maine this time of year and it has made internet access kinda dicey in the past but I am private sector now and have upgraded my tools recently so I should be good to go.

It looks like we have 8 teams set to go in the North, right? Are there 9 in the South? 16 teams would be perfect but I certainly don't favor giving anyone the boot.

I think it would be cool if we could all play in the same league and find a site that will allow us to set up four divisions in two conferences. That way we could still have the North and South meet in the Cyburbia Super Bowl and maybe even get some rivals together in divisions. Yea, I'm lookin' at you Mastiff.

So, I suggest getting 16 or 20 teams total. Use a live draft with a scaled down roster like QB RB WR WR W/R TE K IDP 6B. No keepers. If my numbers are right then either someone from the south could bow out or we could make a call for three newbies.

I don't mind the long draft but I think live drafts rock. It will be tough to find a time that will work for everyone but at least you can rank your guys.

The Plank

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by plankton View post
    I'll commish the North. I commish another yahoo league so I know the drill. I always take a trip to the north woods of Maine this time of year and it has made internet access kinda dicey in the past but I am private sector now and have upgraded my tools recently so I should be good to go.

It looks like we have 8 teams set to go in the North, right? Are there 9 in the South? 16 teams would be perfect but I certainly don't favor giving anyone the boot.

I think it would be cool if we could all play in the same league and find a site that will allow us to set up four divisions in two conferences. That way we could still have the North and South meet in the Cyburbia Super Bowl and maybe even get some rivals together in divisions. Yea, I'm lookin' at you Mastiff.

So, I suggest getting 16 or 20 teams total. Use a live draft with a scaled down roster like QB RB WR WR W/R TE K IDP 6B. No keepers. If my numbers are right then either someone from the south could bow out or we could make a call for three newbies.

I don't mind the long draft but I think live drafts rock. It will be tough to find a time that will work for everyone but at least you can rank your guys.

The Plank
    We are going to have to see if the North will exist or not. We might be moving on to bigger and better things.... note the above idea. We might have to have a poll on whether or not something like that is acceptable to everyone.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I think the South is ok, I believe we only have eight teams, since Hink has two. I don't care all that much what we do, but we need to decide and get moving. Getting a time set up for a live draft could be an issue.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    This relegation idea sucks.

All you need is an even number of teams to participate in this. Then split them down the middle for your north and south.

Much easier.

ITS FOOTBALL NOT SOCCER
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Dec 1998

My $0.02

I've been with the CFFL since year one. Even though my team has more or less sucked since its inception, I'm not thrilled with the thought of being relegated to some "junior" league.

Not only do I wholeheartedly support dropping the 3 keepers and repicking this year, I also support going back to the autodraft. I don't know how we're going to do a live draft on a much shorter time table this year.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 29
    Last post: 03 Aug 2011, 4:46 PM
  2. The Ivy League punchline
    Student Commons
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 01 Apr 2009, 4:56 PM
  3. League this year?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18