Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Comments tips for me as I begin to apply to grad school?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2011

Comments tips for me as I begin to apply to grad school?

Hello all, I just wanted some tips/comments from fellow planning students and planning professionals on what they think my chances might be to get into a good masters program based on my specs. I am a UC Irvine student and am staying for one extra quarter into my fifth year this fall. I'm planning on submitting my applications this fall to attend a MURP or similar program for Fall 2012 in order to enter a career in environmental planning (EIRs etc). I'm so far going to apply to UCI, UCLA, and Cal Poly Pomona.

Majors: Urban Studies, Criminology/Law
    Minor: Political Science

GRE: taken last week.
    Verbal- 590
    Math- 790
    Total- 1380
    Writing- ? (haven't received yet)

GPA: 3.529

Unpaid Internships:
    1 quarter at real estate law firm.
    1 upcoming quarter at an environmental and transportation planning and engineering firm (Parsons Brinckerhoff, I'm 99.9% sure I nailed the interview).
    1 quarter w/ the Green Campus Program

Research Experience:
    1 quarter research assistance for a criminology lecturer.
    Currently helping the Chair of the Planning, Policy and Design department with some research.

Letters of Rec that I'm going to try to ask for:
    1 from one of my undergraduate professor who also teaches in the MURP program. He is very friendly with me and we've spoken many times outside of class.
    1 from the professor I'm currently helping out with research. He is the chair of the PPD department and is also makes decisions for the UCI MURP program.

Additional stuff:
    Taking 1 graduate MURP class this fall (Transportation and Environmental Health) with the undergraduate/graduate professor I mentioned earlier.
    Taking an undergraduate GIS class this fall.
    Worked with a campus green club to secure funding for an on-campus hydration station for reusable water bottles.

So based on this stuff, what do you think my chances are at a good masters program? I'm pretty sure I can get into Pomona or Irvine, but I'm really hoping to go to Los Angeles. (Of course, I know that a lot of this still depends on my personal statement, etc etc).

thanks!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I think you'll have a decent chance at any program you apply to. You have a decent GPA and GRE scores plus you have quite a bit of relevant experience.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by MSahimi View post
    So based on this stuff, what do you think my chances are at a good masters program? I'm pretty sure I can get into Pomona or Irvine, but I'm really hoping to go to Los Angeles. (Of course, I know that a lot of this still depends on my personal statement, etc etc).thanks!
    To say it depends would be boring, but correct. No one is going to be able to tell you what score you need to get into a school. Especially not a "good" program. But having strong scores, gpa, letters of recommendation, and a great personal statement definitely help.

Just apply to schools that have the professors and classes you want to take. Talk with them about their admissions criteria and your interest. Much of the time, personal conversations and networking will mean more to the admissions team than your paper trail.

Good luck.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 05 Nov 2012, 10:03 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 28 Aug 2012, 1:28 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 15 Sep 2011, 10:58 PM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last post: 25 Sep 2008, 5:56 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last post: 12 Sep 2008, 1:57 PM