Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: August Pledge Drive - Cyburbia Edition

Registered
    Jan 2005

August Pledge Drive - Cyburbia Edition

So I was tootling around Cyburbia this weekend and noticed that there are only 21 plus members.

So of course I had to compare that to other facts and figures of the site.

-We have 110 people in the clube.
    -We have 75 people in the clubbe.
    -We have 52 people in the clubbbe.
    -We have 35 people in the clubbbbe.

-We have had 222 people who have posted join Cyburbia in 2011.
    -We have 102 people who have posted that joined prior to 2002.

So of course my point is this:

Why aren't more people putting the $20 into our beloved Cyburbia? I understand how many are tight, but $20 isn't that much. 4 cups of coffee. 20 mechanical pencils. One blue shirt.

If you love spending time here and have enjoyed it for years. Why aren't you willing to put a downpayment for its financial future? I know many sites are free, but some require donations. Dan has made an effort to never directly require anything from anyone. I am not trying to attack anyone, but more plead that people rethink their donations.

Come on people. August can be our Cyburbia pledge drive. Let's see how many people we can get to be Plus members by September 1st.

As always, this isn't about the benefits, it is about the community. If you find the information valuable, consider giving some money. If you find the camaraderie (if we have any) valuable, consider giving some money. If you just like the site, give some money.

Go to your Control Panel and upgrade today!

Cyburbian Plus Members to Date:

August 1 - 21
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Nothing like a pledge drive to bring in the contributions. We need some pledge prizes this year. Suggestions?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2002
    You're right. 20 bucks is a bargain. I got the expiration notice last month but it got sucked into the big black hole of Outlook e-mails.

Now to find my PayPal password...

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Different forums for different fields run things ... differently.

My wife pays to be part of a photographers forum, but only a handful from each metro are allowed in to keep each other from stealing ideas and keeping competition geographically separate.

Thing about cyburbia is, it is free and everything is free - there is no reason to pay (no offense). I get a signature, an avatar of my choosing, unlimited posting, file storage, attachments, private messaging, and hotlinking for free. Why isn't there a graded level of advancement for a fee? Let it be free to still read and write but maybe you don't get any avatar or signature files or can't send PMs. Then with $10 you get some stuff and for $20 you get the full service package.

I know the C+ now offers blogs and something else I can't remember, but that really isn't a selling point.

Now for the tugging at the heart strings, ok I totally get the PBS method but that, to date, has only swayed 21 folks where I think you would (reluctantly perhaps) get 4 times that if you throttled posting, kept avatars away, or some other limiting features.

Even the ap for the iphone was free, why not $1.99 one time fee or something for those on the go?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Different forums for different fields run things ... differently.

My wife pays to be part of a photographers forum, but only a handful from each metro are allowed in to keep each other from stealing ideas and keeping competition geographically separate.

Thing about cyburbia is, it is free and everything is free - there is no reason to pay (no offense). I get a signature, an avatar of my choosing, unlimited posting, file storage, attachments, private messaging, and hotlinking for free. Why isn't there a graded level of advancement for a fee? Let it be free to still read and write but maybe you don't get any avatar or signature files or can't send PMs. Then with $10 you get some stuff and for $20 you get the full service package.

I know the C+ now offers blogs and something else I can't remember, but that really isn't a selling point.

Now for the tugging at the heart strings, ok I totally get the PBS method but that, to date, has only swayed 21 folks where I think you would (reluctantly perhaps) get 4 times that if you throttled posting, kept avatars away, or some other limiting features.

Even the ap for the iphone was free, why not $1.99 one time fee or something for those on the go?
    It isn't that I don't agree with you, I just think the PBS model is really valid. People should donate because of what they get from it, not just because of the perks of donating. I still think Dan should have a yearly auction of some sort. I like the idea of selling lower numbers (I have bid on mine), and maybe some other bonus features like a Gold name or something? Although I like the C+ I agree it needs to be more obvious those who support the site, so we can guilt those that don't into it.

A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2005
    August 3 - 22

-One of the 22 Plus members has never posted.

-Six of the 22 Plus members have posted under 100 times.

Come on people. Just join. It is worth it. Do it for Dan and the future of Cyburbia.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    August 3 - 22

-One of the 22 Plus members has never posted.

-Six of the 22 Plus members have posted under 100 times.

Come on people. Just join. It is worth it. Do it for Dan and the future of Cyburbia.
    Need the toll-free phone number and the totebag amounts.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Need the toll-free phone number and the totebag amounts.
    If I could give away Cyburbia swag I would. Dan I will be the official d-bag that asks everyone for money.... I'm not above that. I know you don't want to because it is your money being spent, but I will.

We need a money emoticon....

Registered
    Jul 2006

Think of the children

This is little RJ.

Do you know that there are hundreds of other planners just like him who lack even the most basic access to forums like this? And do you know that just pennies a day can bring a whole year's worth of mindless drivel into their otherwise dull and meaningless existence?

If you'd like to help and, at the same time, relieve yourself of the crushing guilt that you're undoubtedly experiencing right now, just ante up twenty bucks for a Cyburbian Plus membership. You'll have the satisfaction of knowing that little RJ, little Dan, little Maister, and many more just like them will now have an alternative to the hours of productive work that they're currently forced to endure.

Think of the children. Please, please, think of the children...

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    ^^ [Larry the Cable Guy Voice] Now that's funny stuff right there. I don't care who you are, that's funny. [/Larry the Cable Guy Voice]

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I'd be happy to sponsor an unemployed planner. Just send me PM and I'll send Dan your 20 bucks.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Jul 2009
    I"m sure its listed somewhere, but it might be helpful in this thread to remind people where the money goes.

Speaking of Cyburbia schwag, does the site get any money at all when it sells merchandise? Out of total curiosity, does anybody know how many Cyburbia mugs are floating around out there? I own 3.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ThePinkPlanner View post
    I"m sure its listed somewhere, but it might be helpful in this thread to remind people where the money goes.

Speaking of Cyburbia schwag, does the site get any money at all when it sells merchandise? Out of total curiosity, does anybody know how many Cyburbia mugs are floating around out there? I own 3.
    I got two from my wife at Christmas several years ago.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ThePinkPlanner View post

I own one
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    May 2005
    If this website wants to be a money generator (or at least bring in more cash than it does), there are better ways to do it. Dan has heard many suggestions before and has opted not to go that route.

I'll be the first to admit that if I was forced to pay $25 to use this site, I would pay it no hesitation.

My contributions to the forums are my admission!
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Dan, this may sound totally nuts, but... people are paying collective millions for the book "S*it my Dad Says". Or similar books. Planners have seen some of the weirdest things imaginable, either in public hearings or meetings. I know I have. Could we possibly cobble together something to publish or self-publish on, say, Kindle? 99 cents for a download with a couple thousand downloads?

Forgot: my preferred title would be "Every Old Guy in FLorida Was a Planning Commissioner in New Jersey" and therefore is qualified to wax eloquent.
    Last edited by Zoning Goddess; 07 Aug 2011 at 8:40 PM. Reason: old FL guys comment

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Dan, this may sound totally nuts, but... people are paying collective millions for the book "S*it my Dad Says". Or similar books. Planners have seen some of the weirdest things imaginable, either in public hearings or meetings. I know I have. Could we possibly cobble together something to publish or self-publish on, say, Kindle? 99 cents for a download with a couple thousand downloads?

Forgot: my preferred title would be "Every Old Guy in FLorida Was a Planning Commissioner in New Jersey" and therefore is qualified to wax eloquent.
    We'll need text, pictures, ethos, pathos, and all the other Greeky tragedy thingies. Wait, we already have all that! We only need to extrapolate. I'm part of the solution...or the problem. But it's kind of a ying/yang thing. I have this vision. Your call.

We thought this idea up while drinking wine by the pool this evening. It could work!! Or not.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post

Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    We'll need text, pictures, ethos, pathos, and all the other Greeky tragedy thingies. Wait, we already have all that! We only need to extrapolate. I'm part of the solution...or the problem. But it's kind of a ying/yang thing. I have this vision. Your call.

We thought this idea up while drinking wine by the pool this evening. It could work!! Or not.
    I'm liking this one! My title would be "WTF? Cyburbia's Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap".

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Macy's...

An entire chapter on the topic.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I was actually serious and my s.o. became unhinged and amused by himself at some point.

I don't see why a seriously edited volume of planning crap couldn't be published. Where did Larry the Cable Guy start?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    I'm liking this one! My title would be "WTF? Cyburbia's Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap".
    We'll need a subtitle. I'll go with, "The Ruminations, Regurgitation, Deep Thoughts, and Simple Observations of a Handful of Anti-AICP Curmudgeons Generally Associated with an Interwebs Site Known as 'Cyburbia.'"

Or something like that.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I like all the ideas. Too bad we are still:

August 8 - 22

We need to have contests or something to give away swag. I would imagine that it would help.... I support this idea. Although I was thinking that if it was explained that Cyburbia is funded by Dan, and that only 22 people had donated to help defray the costs to host the site, that people would donate.

So maybe I am not the next Jerry Lewis....

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Well halfway done with the month...

August 15: 22

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    We need to have contests or something to give away swag. I would imagine that it would help.... I support this idea. ..
    How about
    What's that on your conference name tag ?
    It's a Cyburbian Plus pin,
    A Cyburbian Plus pin! On your name tag ?

Just tell me what kind of Organization would a planner like you make a pledge to ?
    It's a Cyburbian Plus pin,.

In Animal House voices.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    How about
    What's that on your conference name tag ?
    It's a Cyburbian Plus pin,
    A Cyburbian Plus pin! On your name tag ?

Just tell me what kind of Organization would a planner like you make a pledge to ?
    It's a Cyburbian Plus pin,.

In Animal House voices.
    lol. Don't forget that RJ made a template for a Cyb name tag so people can find each other at conferences or laefests. I guess he should make one for Cyb+, too.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. January 2012 - Pledge Drive
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 11 Jan 2012, 11:11 AM
  2. November pledge drive
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 01 Nov 2011, 11:47 PM
  3. October pledge drive