Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning permit appeal

Registered
    Aug 2011

Planning permit appeal

Hello everyone, I'm new here so go easy.
    I live in the burbs, about 12 k's from Melbourne's CBD, in a part of the world developed in the late 1950's, detached houses, standard 50 x 120 feet blocks, boring for some but fine for me and mine.
    Anyway in it's wisdom the local council has decided that we all need to get with the program and they've started building ugly two story blueboard monstrosities around the place, initially on ex Housing Commission land in the next suburb but now they want to put four of them on the 600 square metre block next to me.
    That there's nothing remotely like it within cooee doesn't seem to be a problem, that the developer called in to sweet talk me and gave me a dodgy set of drawings thinking I wouldn't check it out at the council doesn't seem to be a problem either, go figure.
    I've been back and forward a few times and all my neighbours are onside but I've come to the conclusion that the term Chief Planning Officer at any local council in suburban Melbourne actually translates as Chief Rescode Clerk.
    Why they need to be educated beyond year 11 is beyond me, we could save millions by training reasonably competent 17 year olds, have them study Rescode from front to back, check to see what the developer wants then if it's all in order and up to specs stamp it.
    Enough of the rant.
    Does anyone here know of an ethical lawyer/planner who doesn't cost the earth who can go into bat for us at VCAT?
    It hasn't been approved yet but I'd like to be as sure of the next Cup winner that it will be.

Registered
    Sep 2011
    Yo Bluey, what council are you in?
    I could send you the name of a planning consultant for VCAT appeal, but you've got to be sure of your facts and have grounds for appeal other than you don't like it. I'm not suggesting you don't have grounds, but be careful not to blow your money as developers have more money and can afford 'favourable' reports.
    Do the basics, check the zoning, overlays, MSS etc. and build a strong case.
    Let us know how you go mate.

Cheers,
    ModPlanner

Registered
    Sep 2011
    Sorry if you know this already Bluey, but you can't apply to VCAT until AFTER the planning authority has actually made a decision. From memory you have 21 days after said decision to lodge formal appeal.
    Hope this helps.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Variances Time limit to file an appeal?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 04 Nov 2012, 9:11 AM
  2. AICP appeal process
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 12 May 2009, 11:25 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 22 Feb 2007, 9:15 PM
  4. Zoning appeal: standing?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 11