+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spam

Registered
    Feb 2004

Spam

No, not this:

We're taking about this stuff:

Spam strikes me as retro food if ever there was. The product was introduced just before WW2 and it's popularity soared in the post war years. You would think that as the country developed more sophisticated palates, foods like Spam would be gathering dust on grocery store shelves, but it appears Hormel still manages to do a land office business with its 'potted meat' sales.

I have not knowingly had Spam since I was a kid, but my mother used to treat it as a staple in the late 60's - mid 70's. Spam sandwiches were common as was just plain Spam (usually served with boiled potatoes and canned green beans on the side, as I recall). Spam hash was something else we had on occasion. Mom's culinary skills improved over the years and I don't think she ever cooked using Spam after about 1980.

Did anyone else eat Spam in their childhood? How about more recently? Any interesting Spam recipes/delicacies you care to share?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    It seemed like my parents always had a can of Spam in the cupboards at home. My dad (who is now 72) would occasionally eat a Spam sandwich or fry it up with eggs for breakfast. But it wasn't something that the family ate as a whole.

I think I've ate Spam somewhere between 5-8 times in my life, including a few times during my undergrad years.

It is not something that has ever been purchased since I've been with my GF/wife.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I just had an idea....someone (else) should open a Spam-themed restaurant and feature a whole menu with Spam-centric entrees and sides. Heck, you could maybe get Hormel's backing and start a chain using the name Spam. The hipster crowd would go nuts over it. Probably should test market in the Austin area.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2009
    You could serve Spam, Spam, Spam, eggs, bacon, Spam and Spam.

I understand Hawaii already loves Spam, they're ahead of the hipster curve. I used to love the stuff as a kid, but I grew out of that.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    SAW
    Is a SPAM lapel pin better than an AICP lapel pin ?
    http://store.spam.com/SPAM-CAN-LAPEL...uctinfo/G6603/

You can have for your office the following:
    Poster,
    letter opener,
    mouse pad,
    coffe mug,
    and more at http://store.spam.com/departments.asp

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I will not eat green eggs and spam... although the green eggs are likely healthier than the spam.
    "The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism." - George Washington

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Even though I grew up on a farm and there was always a deep freezer full of beef, chicken, and pork we would occasionally have Spam for dinner as it was something my dad really liked. I never really cared for it, no matter how it was prepared, except when it was made into a hash with eggs and potatoes and a lot of peppers and onions. Actually, that sounds pretty good now... maybe I will have to try it again sometime.

I recall once or twice the messhalls at Camp Lejeune would serve Spam at lunch time. Those meals went over about as well as their attempts to serve liver and onions or stuffed cabbages.

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I just had an idea....someone (else) should open a Spam-themed restaurant and feature a whole menu with Spam-centric entrees and sides. Heck, you could maybe get Hormel's backing and start a chain using the name Spam. The hipster crowd would go nuts over it. Probably should test market in the Austin area.
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    You could serve Spam, Spam, Spam, eggs, bacon, Spam and Spam.

I understand Hawaii already loves Spam, they're ahead of the hipster curve. I used to love the stuff as a kid, but I grew out of that.
    If you go to Yelp and search "Spam" under restaurants in Honolulu a few come up. I wonder if Hawaii's love of Spam grew because beef maybe is/was much more expensive there so Spam was a cheap alternative. I cannot imagine Spam would be nearly as popular in somewhere like Nebraska or Iowa where there is generally no shortage of cows or pigs.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I have had SPAM once. I don't imagine that I will say I have had it twice.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I recall once or twice the messhalls at Camp Lejeune would serve Spam at lunch time. Those meals went over about as well as their attempts to serve liver and onions or stuffed cabbages.
    Yeah, Cherry Pit never served Spam, but the one time I was TAD at Lejeune for a few weeks they had Spam at lunch (once). No one seemed very excited about it either.

Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP
    If you go to Yelp and search "Spam" under restaurants in Honolulu a few come up. I wonder if Hawaii's love of Spam grew because beef maybe is/was much more expensive there so Spam was a cheap alternative. I cannot imagine Spam would be nearly as popular in somewhere like Nebraska or Iowa where there is generally no shortage of cows or pigs.
    Actually pork (which, believe it or not, is what Spam is made of) is traditionally huge in Polynesian cultures. Apart from fish, it's pretty much the only meat in their (traditional) diet. I believe the highest per capita consumption of Spam is found in places like Guam or the Marianas islands..

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I've seen an episode on The Food Channel about a place like this that actually exists (Anthony Bourdaine?). In Hawaii, not surprisingly.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I just saw a bit of Anthony Bourdain's show on CNN last week, No Reservations, where he went to a fast-food place in Los Angeles called Jollibee, and ordered spam sandwiches. Jollibee is a Filipino chain. The sandwich reminded me of a White Castle slider, based on the size and lack of veggies. I might try a bite if someone else ordered it.

Registered
    Nov 2008
    SPAM is all over the place in Hawaii. I eat it once every few years for reasons I don't fully understand.
    You can grow ideas in the garden of your mind.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I cannot remember the last time I ate Spam. But every so often at the grocery when I see Spam on the shelf, I am tempted to buy a can. Then after a moment of thought I move on.

I also look at the cans of Treet and wonder what it tastes like. But not enough to buy a can.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    I've seen an episode on The Food Channel about a place like this that actually exists (Anthony Bourdaine?). In Hawaii, not surprisingly.
    I seem to recall this as well. Personally, I have never eaten spam.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I like SPAM although it is not a staple in my house. I honestly cannot remember the last time I cooked SPAM at the house.

In the hipster section of Phoenix there is a bar that serves SPAM sliders...they are magical...served on a Hawaiian Sweet Roll with an Asian slaw.
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We would occassionally have Spam when I was a child, though this was often on vacations when my mother would heat it over the Coleman gas stove on the tailgate of the Country Squire. I would have to agree that it was phased out of the diet before 1980, although it reappeared while I was in the Army. It was usually fried up and served as a substitute for bacon or sausage.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I have never eaten Spam.

I did once have to participate in a Spam-carving contest as part of a team-building thingy. To add insult to injury, the manager that came up this with stupid idea didn't even provide the Spam. I can't recall what I tried to carve, but one of the other planners made a surprisingly good Spam bear that was trailed by little bits of Spam "poop".

It's part of my hurricane survival supplies. I've eaten one of twice, but that's it.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I had spam a couple of months ago. Maybe I'm just a big, pale pacific islander but I really like it. I'm admitting all kinds of things I shouldn't today so i'll just admit that too. We don't eat it all the time, but probably three or four times a year we'll fry some up with eggs for breakfast and have leftover spam sandwiches for lunch the next day. There's really nothing like that.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've never knowingly eaten Spam.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I haven't had it since I was a kid. My dad loved food like that - Vienna sausages, potted meat , just about any prepared meal that came from a can.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    My mom used to keep a can of Spam in the cupboard. She used to cut in slices and fry it, served instead of sausage or bacon for breakfast. The other presentation was dicing it and boiling it along with the pasta for boxed mac 'n cheese.

It's a common breakfast side in Hawaii (#1 state for Spam consumption) even at McDonald's and Burger King. Hawaii also has a kind of "sushi" that's made with Spam instead of fish, diced in fried rice is also pretty common.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    We would occassionally have Spam when I was a child, though this was often on vacations when my mother would heat it over the Coleman gas stove on the tailgate of the Country Squire. I would have to agree that it was phased out of the diet before 1980, although it reappeared while I was in the Army. It was usually fried up and served as a substitute for bacon or sausage.
    It was also a staple on our family camping trips. Never saw it when I was in the Army. When I was a single parent, I would occasionally fry some up for my son & I. My wife won't even consider it so it's been years since I've had some.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    I haven't had it since I was a kid. My dad loved food like that - Vienna sausages, potted meat , just about any prepared meal that came from a can.
    I have never eaten Spam (although my wife seems to have some every other week, at least) - however, I did have a deviled ham sammich for lunch yesterday.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I grew up with Spam being a frequent item on the family menu (especially broiled slices with melted Valveeta cheese stuff on top) and I still like it, too.

BTW, I'm thinking that WWII (especially) and the state's ongoing strong military presence is a major factor in its popularity in Hawaii. Also, it does have a lot of decent food value in a small, easily-shipped package (it's made in Minnes(n)o(w)ta, after all), a benefit for such a place, and also a big reason why it was so popular with the military during WWII.

Mike

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast