Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Google apps as primary email, calendar, etc.

Registered
    Jan 2005

Google apps as primary email, calendar, etc.

Has anyone migrated over to Google to serve as their primary email and calendar client? With the added bonus of Google Apps, we are considering such a move. The cost is fairly low ($50/person/yr) and it gets a large chunk of email off our servers.

Anyone done this and liked it? Hated it?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    Has anyone migrated over to Google to serve as their primary email and calendar client? With the added bonus of Google Apps, we are considering such a move. The cost is fairly low ($50/person/yr) and it gets a large chunk of email off our servers.

Anyone done this and liked it? Hated it?
    I think the City of Los Angeles and State of Wyoming both did this but I can say for certain. A small business owner I know did it and loved the results. He owns a restaurant does his staff scheduling off of the calendar.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Larimer County, Colorado where Fort Collins is located has done this. You can google Larimer County google apps for information on this. I don't have any first hand knowledge of how people like/dislike it.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    No but I am interested in following this. I'm a big fan of the google services and applications.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Occasionally the IT department sends out an e-mail to remind us about how much spam they block. Would moving to this app increase the amount of "Refinance YOUR HOME NOW!!" e-mails? Would not all the e-mail wind up on the server anyway? How would FOIA work in these instances?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Occasionally the IT department sends out an e-mail to remind us about how much spam they block. Would moving to this app increase the amount of "Refinance YOUR HOME NOW!!" e-mails? Would not all the e-mail wind up on the server anyway? How would FOIA work in these instances?
    You would just be using google servers in most cases. Not any new email address or anything else. Google also has an admin function, so you could put Universal filters like your IT guys probably do now.

No the email would be stored on Google's Cloud. Which keeps the GB upon GB of email attachments, etc. off of our already slow server.

http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/government/
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Our organization went to using Google for our email. We already were using Google for our calendars, and moved our email to Google to give us complete access to our email while outside of the office.

The search ability of GMail is miles better than Outlook IMO. If you have an Android phone, you can link your GMail and Google Calendar to the phone.

The county I work for made the move last September. We were using Outlook previously. Google mail has taken some getting used to, but overall it's ok. The biggest thing is that messages are grouped into "conversations" by subject line. If you aren't careful when you hit delete, it will delete the entire conversation instead of single messages. Searching messages seems easier, but you can't sort messages the same way as Outlook. I haven't heard of anyone/departments having major problems.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    On a much smaller scale I recently switched from an Iphone to an Android phone after closing a larger consulting business and opening a one man shop. I had used Outlook for a long time and was very conformtable with it, particularly the email marketing aspects. I also was very happy with my Iphone -- I was on my third Iphone.

Google is fine but not nearly as fast as Outlook. The Calendar function is good and will do pretty much everything I could do in Outlook just slower and with less flair.

The upside is with the Google applications and the Android phone talking so seemlessly to one another, it elimates the daily sync hook up I needed to do between the Iphone and my desktop. Also, you can access your email and calendar from any PC with internet access. With Google, I tend to do much more calendering from my phone whereas with the Iphone I tended to use the desktop and then sync up.

Overall I happy with the exchange, but I do miss some of the Iphone apps like Netflix and several others that haven't made their way to Android yet.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by smccutchan1 View post
    Overall I happy with the exchange, but I do miss some of the Iphone apps like Netflix and several others that haven't made their way to Android yet.
    Netflix has been on my phone for months (HTC Evo). I was watching a documentary last night on my phone. Netflix was in a big battle with the production studios about security on Android, so they've been slow to release the app to all devices.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. your calendar method
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 17 Jun 2013, 4:12 PM
  2. The Calendar On Your Desk
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 30 Mar 2005, 9:13 AM
  3. Looking for a Calendar!