Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: Recent M.S. Graduate in Regional Planning

Registered
    Aug 2011

Recent M.S. Graduate in Regional Planning

Hello Everyone!
    I'm excited to join such a strong community of planners!
    I am currently looking for employment in the planning profession and willing to travel. Any advice, suggestions or referrals are greatly appreciated! My specialties include Sense of Place, Place Identity and Attachment.
    Thank you all!

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Welcome from the High Plains...and good luck! I would like to help in your job search, but in my last three positions my job was abolished after I left.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Greetings from the Florida panhandle.

You really need to look through the Career Development and Advice forum for discussions regarding employment in this profession.

EDIT: WTF is "Achievement" planning? I'm curious.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Hello. Your specialties sound somewhat more like something in a Psych degree, but OK.....You will probably find they don't translate well into an entry level job,but hey, keep your hopes up.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Hello from upstate New York!

Registered
    Aug 2011
    ZG: I understand your perspective that sense of place runs more along the lines of being a psychologist or even a sociologist, but aren't planners essentially humanistic geographers? Should we not understand human behavior as it relates to land in order to 'plan' for it better?

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Hello! I hope you can find what you are looking for here.

I do think understanding human behavior is important, but unfortunately for most planners, especially those in the public sector, the humans you need to understand most are those that make up your top-most municipal body.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by ktrems View post
    ZG: I understand your perspective that sense of place runs more along the lines of being a psychologist or even a sociologist, but aren't planners essentially humanistic geographers? Should we not understand human behavior as it relates to land in order to 'plan' for it better?
    Honestly, mostly we're whores for our employers and maybe once in a while win them over from the dark side.

I just worry about recent grads who are too idealistic and become jaded too fast depending on where they work. Most planning jobs are rank and file, file after file,etc jobs,with no allowance for "sense of place", and so on.

Registered
    Aug 2011
    That's a bit discouraging! I expected to have to be flexible with diplomacy... But, I guess I could use my undergrad in environmental sciences and start looking also in that field. I do appreciate the heads up though. And yes, I'm probably a little too idealistic

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by ktrems View post
    That's a bit discouraging! I expected to have to be flexible with diplomacy... But, I guess I could use my undergrad in environmental sciences and start looking also in that field. I do appreciate the heads up though. And yes, I'm probably a little too idealistic
    There is no Urban Planning Program that actually prepares a grad for the day to day stress,juggling,etc for the real job. You have to be a really good writer and great at research and writing. And in my opinion, most graduates these days can't write worth shit.. Or the fact that your first offered job may be in something(you think is beneath yourself) like Code Enforcement.

Registered
    Aug 2011
    I suppose it's fortunate that I actually love doing research, and I believe I'm a fair enough writer...

Registered
    Aug 2011
    I was also lucky enough to have a diverse faculty at IUP. One of the classes was entitled "Research in Geography and Regional Planning". Another focused entirely on planning ethics. Do you believe that ethics play a significant enough role in UP to warrant making a class on it part of the core curriculum?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    A basic understanding of ethics are crucial to advancement in the planning profession. But an entire course devoted to the topic? I don't think so.

Ethics get kicked to the curb later in your career.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Hello, from Dallas, TX!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Aug 2011
    Thank you all!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Welcome from the Great State of Ohio! Sorry I was late to the welcome party!!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 98
    Last post: 24 Dec 2013, 11:43 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 12 Sep 2013, 1:57 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 29 Jul 2011, 12:32 PM
  4. Advice for a recent graduate
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 21 Jun 2009, 9:04 PM