Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Faculty and campus style housing

Registered
    Aug 2001

Faculty and campus style housing

I am looking for precedence for faculty/campus style of housing. This could be for sale or even "corporate" style weekly and monthly studios. A glorified dorm? Maybe, but we are envisioning much more.

Does anyone have examples from Stanford, Harvard, etc?

Sorry for the vague question, but we are just developing the concept and may not know the appropriate question to ask today and maybe you need to ask me!
    "You can measure the health of a city by the vitality and energy of its streets and public open spaces.-- William H. Whyte..

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Google "university owned faculty housing". I did that and got quite a few hits.

Registered
    Jul 2011
    I'm pretty sure that the University of California, Irvine has some pretty extensive faculty housing - almost like a planned residential community on the campus (i.e., single-family residential neighborhood). I had a friend in college who's father was a professor there and lived in one of the units - it was indistinguishable from off-campus housing.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Harvard has a few condo buildings and scattered other condos for rent and sale to faculty, but from a design perspective, they are nothing special.

Stanford has a large community adjacent to the academic campus, still part of the University's land, that has a lot of faculty housing, usually referred to as the faculty ghetto. Again, nothing there is special regarding the design of the units.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally posted by tarf12345678 View post
    I'm pretty sure that the University of California, Irvine has some pretty extensive faculty housing - almost like a planned residential community on the campus (i.e., single-family residential neighborhood). I had a friend in college who's father was a professor there and lived in one of the units - it was indistinguishable from off-campus housing.
    The U.C.I. faculty housing is pleasant and well-made but also suburban, generic, and uninspired. The trails system is exceptionally nice, though.

I recommend looking at T.O.D. projects that have been designed for university faculty.

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Pragmatic Idealist View post
    The U.C.I. faculty housing is pleasant and well-made but also suburban, generic, and uninspired.

Absolutely true, but it also fits in well with the suburban, generic, uninspired, and overwhelmingly sterile character of the City of Irvine as a whole.

It was actually interesting to read this month's Planning magazine article describing Irvine Ranch. APA was waaaaay too kind. Of all the cities I've lived in, Irvine was easily my least favorite.

(Sorry for the off-topic... it is Friday after all, and AEP is having a social event at the Stone Brewery at 5pm... mmm, beer...)
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 Nov 2013, 3:09 PM
  2. Uses Off-campus student housing?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 29 Sep 2011, 3:54 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 14 Mar 2008, 12:28 PM