Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Open source city planning?

Registered
    Feb 2011

Open source city planning?

Open source methodoligy has been adopted by many people in wide range of fields. It was mostly popular with software development (Linux, Audacity and what not). It has more recently been adopted by makers of hardware, take for example Local Motors who developed an entire car using this open source philisophy. And partakers in open source architecture projects have been kicking face helping those in need all around the world.
    I'm wondering if a small city or town, could perhaps be designed by a large global group of experienced people and it's design be moderated by experts. Think of all the altruistic services this city could provide for us. My question to you is, do you think this could be a new branch or direction city planning takes?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    For certain applications it could work. However the reality of things is that local politics, geographic, and socio-economic conditions would make it difficult to move everything onto an open source platform.

I find that by doing google searches I have been able to find out what others are doing fairly easily. It is also updated on a regular basis.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2010
    I think you could design a “prototypical” community using an open source method, which planners and citizens could use to get ideas for their own community. It could be like a very advanced version of SimCity where traffic and happiness and economic health etc. are constantly measured. People could come in, change a few elements and see what effect it had on the surrounding neighbourhood.

I would NOT however recommend doing this with a real community. A real community is the result of all the decision people who live in the community make. If people a thousand miles away start making decisions that affect the community it will no longer be a community, but a social experiment.

Registered
    Feb 2011
    Ah, okay. Now what about slums and squatter cities? Could these be communities that benefit from volunteer planners?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I would argue that planning is very open source right now. How do many communities get their code changes? How do cities get their plan idea and implementation strategies? From others who have done it.

I get the idea, but unfortunately every community is unique, so a pre-created code or comprehensive plan would be lacking in its scope and effectiveness.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbia Administrator
    Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    This might not answer your question, but the SmartCode is open source.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    I get the idea, but unfortunately every community is unique, so a pre-created code or comprehensive plan would be lacking in its scope and effectiveness.
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    This might not answer your question, but the SmartCode is open source.
    My point exactly.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally posted by daftduck View post
    Ah, okay. Now what about slums and squatter cities? Could these be communities that benefit from volunteer planners?
    Any benefit would be determined by how receptive the local community is to the idea being proposed. Like slums and squatter cities are things that tend to be deliberately ignored by local officials, as such it is unlikely they will do anything to address the problem unless it becomes out of control. The people represented in those areas really need advocates but open source planning really wouldn't be able to accomplish that.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 19 Sep 2012, 5:25 PM
  2. GIS Free/open source GIS program?
    Information Technology
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 21 May 2012, 10:00 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 08 Feb 2010, 2:04 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 02 Feb 2006, 10:04 PM