Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Entering the Field as a Non-planning New Grad

Registered
    Jan 2014

Entering the Field as a Non-planning New Grad

Hello everyone,

I am a soon-to-be-graduate from college with a BA degree in Computer Science and Studio Art. I have internship experiences in software engineering and web design (as I was originally trying to get a job in the tech industry), but now I really want to try out urban planning as a profession.

I also have some experiences in related fields (an internship at Congress for the New Urbanism, (informally) working with the city government in my neighborhood and other small side-projects in traffic data analysis) but I am not really sure how to mix-and-match with my software engineering experiences. How do I position/market myself in this kind of situation?

Plus, I was wondering if anyone knows any good opportunities outside of traditional government/municipal planning positions. What's out there? Any idea? suggestion?

Thanks a lot for your time and advice in advance!

Registered
    Jan 2009
    It might be tough to market yourself, you don't have an associated degree. An intership or some extra experience always helps. For something outside the norm, try to see if there is a nonprofit or advocacy group that could use some help.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 16 Nov 2012, 3:45 PM
  2. Concern about entering the field
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 21 Apr 2011, 11:34 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 30 Jan 2011, 11:39 PM
  4. Getting into the planning field
    Career Development and Advice