Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Home occupation: food preparation?

Home occupation: food preparation?

Our city's current zoning ordinance allows for many home occupations, subject to some conditions similar to many other cities. However, our ordinance also specifically prohibits certain uses as a home occupation; one of which being catering or other food preparation.

Any thoughts or suggestions on why this is necessary or desirable to prohibit? Since restaurant and food inspections are also done in my department, I understand that they would have to meet any of those state or local food prep standards. But if they get proper permits and inspections and meet all health requirements, why not allow an individual caterer with no employees as a home occupation?

Registered
    Dec 2008
    If all they do at home is cook by themselves there is no reason they should be banned as a home occupation. The kitchen should be licensed by the health department (state or local) and it should be clear if they want to hire employees they will need to find a commercial location.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Nov 2010
    I have no problem with food preparation/catering as a home occupation, as long as the structure is equipped for it and can pass health inspections. The key is ensure that the use is primarily a residential use, and is in keeping with the characteristics of the residential zone that it is located in, through standards and conditions.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Unless there is a 17 foot taco wagon in the drive.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It is more a question of scale than of use. If someone is occassionally catering small events they are not likely to have a big impact. A large catering business can have many employees, trucks and cars, deliveries, etc., as well as cause excessive odors and waste. If there are other performance criteria in the ordinance it may be acceptable, but be cautious.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The use requires a commercial kitchen. That's far beyond the reach of a home occupation, IMHO.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    The use requires a commercial kitchen. That's far beyond the reach of a home occupation, IMHO.
    There are exceptions based on the amount of product that will be made.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    That's what I thought too until I spoke with the Georgia Department of Agriculture. Just this year they approved a home kitchen in my city to bake goods for sale. This is after the homeowner spoke with the Department of Environmental Health who told her that they would not be able to provide her a food service permit since it was not a commercial kitchen.
    Once our office was provided a copy of her DGA permit we issued a home occupation license.

This is yet another loophole in government, this between the local Environmental Health and the State Department of Ag.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 22 Dec 2009, 10:16 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 21 Sep 2006, 11:36 AM
  3. Uses Questionable home occupation
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 07 Jan 2005, 8:38 AM
  4. Definitions Home occupation definition
    Land Use and Zoning