Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: EDAC or IEDC: Economic Development Certification

Registered
    Aug 2011

EDAC or IEDC: Economic Development Certification

Hi everyone, particularly those in Canada, any sense of what economic development certification is better recognized and considered more rigorous -- that of EDAC or IEDC?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Although IEDC has "international" in the title it is basically an American organization with a small number of foreign participants. On the other hand, there are mew Canadians in IEDC than there are Americans in EDAC. Most of the larger Canadian cities are represented in IEDC. I do have my CEcD, but I earned it as a EcD under AEDC before the merger. You could also consider the IDFP from NDC.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    May 2005
    I've been considering dropping my state/national memberships in APA and moving towards memberships in IEDC and and the state equivalent.

I feel like the economic development component, when combined with my graduate degree and experience in planning, will better round out my resume and serve me better in the future.

What are people's thoughts on someone who has been largely classified as a land use planner (albeit someone who has done ED work) pursuing the IEDC path? Perhaps just drop the national APA but still belong to the state chapter?

For the record, I am not AICP.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

This may be a little off topic, but I really appreciate the statewide conferences and other events/training put on by my former state's APA. National on the other hand...

Is there a way to join the chapter but not national? I'll abstain from the magazine.
    The content contrarian

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by OfficialPlanner View post
    Is there a way to join the chapter but not national? I'll abstain from the magazine.
    I don't know if all chapters do it, but Northern New England has had a "chapter only" membership for as long as I can remember...

http://nnecapa.org/files/2010/05/NNE...rship-Form.pdf
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I've been considering dropping my state/national memberships in APA and moving towards memberships in IEDC and and the state equivalent.

I feel like the economic development component, when combined with my graduate degree and experience in planning, will better round out my resume and serve me better in the future.

What are people's thoughts on someone who has been largely classified as a land use planner (albeit someone who has done ED work) pursuing the IEDC path? Perhaps just drop the national APA but still belong to the state chapter?

For the record, I am not AICP.
    I am preparing now for the CEcD exam. You need to be able to show 5 years of direct economic development experience (not to say you cannot fluff your resume) to sit for the exam and take 6 BS classes. All in I have spent well over $10K to get the point where I can sit for the exam that has a 30% passing rate. Unless you want to be a director of a large EDC or community it is not necessary. I am not wild about taking it but it is an expecation of my organization that I pursue the designation. IMO the EDFP from NDC is the much better certification. You actually learn something by going to the classes. I am half way done with the EDFP and it is a much better use of time.

For economic development you can join the state organization and not join IEDC. IEDC charges based upon your cities population but anyone can be a member. How most people on this board feel about the APA is how I feel about IEDC except you guys get a better magazine and membership into a more professional organization. Why do you want to join IEDC?

Since executing economic development very local I find much more value in the state organizations. I know most of my peers around the state because of it which has proved helpful when I am working on a project I can call a peer who has done something similiar.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    I am preparing now for the CEcD exam. You need to be able to show 5 years of direct economic development experience (not to say you cannot fluff your resume) to sit for the exam and take 6 BS classes. All in I have spent well over $10K to get the point where I can sit for the exam that has a 30% passing rate. Unless you want to be a director of a large EDC or community it is not necessary. I am not wild about taking it but it is an expecation of my organization that I pursue the designation. IMO the EDFP from NDC is the much better certification. You actually learn something by going to the classes. I am half way done with the EDFP and it is a much better use of time.

For economic development you can join the state organization and not join IEDC. IEDC charges based upon your cities population but anyone can be a member. How most people on this board feel about the APA is how I feel about IEDC except you guys get a better magazine and membership into a more professional organization. Why do you want to join IEDC?

Since executing economic development very local I find much more value in the state organizations. I know most of my peers around the state because of it which has proved helpful when I am working on a project I can call a peer who has done something similiar.
    I suppose I'm more interested in the state ED organization, as oppose to IEDC.

I think I would find more value if I was aligned with the state ED organization and state APA chapter, as opposed to the APA national and the state APA chapter.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I suppose I'm more interested in the state ED organization, as oppose to IEDC.

I think I would find more value if I was aligned with the state ED organization and state APA chapter, as opposed to the APA national and the state APA chapter.
    MEDA was run well when I was in Michigan. The membership was reasonable and they did some decent training classes in Lansing a few times a year.

Also, if you want to learn more about ED take their basic course. I have the 2005 manual. PM me and I will send you a copy.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 18 Jun 2013, 12:50 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 22 Feb 2010, 10:47 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 Nov 2009, 2:19 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 25 Sep 2008, 1:08 PM