Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Moving into planning from administration

Registered
    Feb 2006

Moving into planning from administration

I have found over the years that I like planning as part of my job as a city administrator and through experience, self study, and just general exposure I have a pretty good grasp of it. I am not formally trained, my degrees are in Poly Sci and masters in finance.

Anyway, I am thinking of looking to make a move into a planning type position in the next few years and out of administration. Granted it will likely pay less, but with a lot less of the day to day drumbeat of problems.

Any suggestions?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    Moved to Career Development and Advice.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Have you lost your mind, Hawk? Find a jurisdiction that needs an assistant city/county administrator and stay under the radar--maybe over the community development/planning director position. Keep an arms length away. Plausible deniability. You'll have your hands in it, but they won't get dirty. You don't want to do this planning stuff because you become a lightning rod. Trust me; I'm serious You can share with me your bonus check later. You'll thank me.

EDIT: Ass/Co/Man, that's my goal.

EDIT 2: PWI is a struggle.
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 05 Sep 2011 at 6:18 PM. Reason: another thought and correct some engrish
    I don't do anything right.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hawkeye66 View post
    I have found over the years that I like planning as part of my job as a city administrator and through experience, self study, and just general exposure I have a pretty good grasp of it. I am not formally trained, my degrees are in Poly Sci and masters in finance.

Anyway, I am thinking of looking to make a move into a planning type position in the next few years and out of administration. Granted it will likely pay less, but with a lot less of the day to day drumbeat of problems.

Any suggestions?
    Are you going to be retiring and then taking on a planning job part time, or would this be a full time gig? I would vote against going down the totem poll until you are ready for retirement. You will find the inability to get things done mind-numbing.

Good luck!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Hawkeye66 View post

Any suggestions?
    Yes: don't.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Moving to get a start in planning.
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 10 Sep 2011, 4:27 PM
  2. Find a planning job without moving?