Jul 2006

Brought tears to my eyes

Dog mourns at casket of fallen Navy SEAL

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/442710...1#.Tlaz1F3JYYI
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2005
    It is a very touching idea...

but I'm skeptical that it isn't just us assigning feelings to the puppy to help us with our grieving.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    but I'm skeptical that it isn't just us assigning feelings to the puppy to help us with our grieving.
    I don't know that dogs "grieve" as such but they are very loyal/attached to the humans in their pack.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I don't know, but it is a cute story, and Sassy "grieves" whenever MW isn't around. If MW has to travel and isn't home for a few days or weeks, the dog gets depressed. She mopes, sighs, lays against the door, and refuses to go #2. She practically does back flips everyday when MW comes home and lovingly nudges me aside (chopped liver) to get to her.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    It's very touching. I agree that animals mourn in their own way; certainly, they know when a beloved companion is gone. One of my cats just freaked when we had to put down the dog he adored. Well, plus, we moved a week later, and that didn't help.

I think this is the story that started the concept of dogs mourning their deceased human companion:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ity-stunt.html

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    It's very touching. I agree that animals mourn in their own way; certainly, they know when a beloved companion is gone. One of my cats just freaked when we had to put down the dog he adored. Well, plus, we moved a week later, and that didn't help.

I think this is the story that started the concept of dogs mourning their deceased human companion:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ity-stunt.html
    The dog in the painting looks very much like my Roscoe, who died last year. There is no doubt in my mind that Sukros knew of Roscoe's death and mourned him. He had been the only dog she loved.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    The dog in the painting looks very much like my Roscoe, who died last year. There is no doubt in my mind that Sukros knew of Roscoe's death and mourned him. He had been the only dog she loved.
    I'm so sorry. My cat Tigger (7 at the time) was madly crazy in love with our 10 y.o. golden mix Rascal and we were all so sad about her demise. But Tigger fell apart. He's OK now.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I cried when I saw this. Very sad. That man was all the dog ever knew...all he ever had. That man was his life. Of course he's going to grieve and be upset. Dogs are especially loyal, and even moreso in a cases like this, where the dog is a loyal work companion to his owner.

You better believe dogs have emotions. My dog has been very upset lately as he knows I'm moving away from home...seeing all the boxes everywhere and everything, and he gets very upset whenever I leave the house now, much more than before. You can tell.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Sep 2008
    I saw this on the news this morning and it was so touching.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I just saw this in the local online rag and posted a link on FB. It was heartbreaking. Im glad the dog, while im sure did not understand, could grieve with everyone else
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Grieving and mourning

This flew past on Facebook, and it seems worth sharing (placed here for future reference).

Cliffs Notes for the beginning griever

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 15
    Last post: 28 Jan 2011, 7:57 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 04 Mar 2004, 8:26 AM
  3. I'm in tears from laughing so hard!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 07 Jan 2004, 12:00 AM
  4. Replies: 0