Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Considering a degree in town planning - what is the job actually like?

Registered
    Aug 2011

Considering a degree in town planning - what is the job actually like?

I am interested in doing an rtpi accredited degree in town planning, I was just wondering what life is like as a town planner? I was wondering how much computer work you have to do, as i dont particularly enjoy computer work. Also, although of course I havnt even started a degree, can you do a PHD in town planning and will it help more than just getting a standard degree in town planning?

Im currently doing my A-levels in maths, physics, german, geography and general studies. I was also wondering how hard it is to get working abroad as a town planner, I currently live near leeds in england, and was wondering about working somewhere like australia, or spain

Registered
    May 2002
    I might catch flak for this, but . . .

If you're doing good in math and physics, go be an engineer. Planning in the current environment has been challenging in that my agency's budget has been cut three years in a row. I've watch our staff go from 4-5 planners to 2.
    The cookies are worth the drive

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2011
    I agree. The thing about town planning is that the topics that are involved are interesting, and are fun to read about in the news and/or watch a documentary on, but the reality is that it is a bureaucratic job for those that like politics. Because it is ALL about politics. My advice would be to get hard skills right now in engineering, architecture, construction management, heck even finance, and then work in the field. You will be much better suited to actually being involved in making things happen. People that get planning degrees end up in regulation positions. If you want to innovate and create, you need to take a different route. I got a BA in planning and have found that out the hard way. I am going back to school now for construction management.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by zach2187 View post
    ...... People that get planning degrees end up in regulation positions. If you want to innovate and create, you need to take a different route. I got a BA in planning and have found that out the hard way. I am going back to school now for construction management.
    And you will become the regulated and fodder for planners.
    Annoyingly insensitive

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 03 Dec 2013, 2:06 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 11 Apr 2012, 11:36 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 31 Dec 2010, 9:41 AM
  4. Replies: 16
    Last post: 31 Dec 2009, 2:17 AM
  5. Replies: 14