Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Most insane things you have heard in an interview?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983 View post
    Ten plus years ago some tax payer group sent around a flyer with the salary of every single teacher in the local school district. I think the salary topped out at around $70k which in Buffalo is pretty decent money. You can live pretty well on that not to mention they could retire at around age 55.
    $70,000 is pretty much a middle income salary, especially for someone with a masters degree. I was making that by the time I was in my mid 30's.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    $70,000 is pretty much a middle income salary, especially for someone with a masters degree. I was making that by the time I was in my mid 30's.
    The only thing that's difficult about teacher's salaries is that it's for working around 9 months of the year, not 50 weeks. It is not quite apples and orange, though I will typically agree that we as a society undervalue teachers.

and planners

Registered
    Aug 2002
    That's depressing. I have never made that much money, and I am well beyond mid 30s.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    You just made 60% of this forum depressed.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    See, this is what I call a generational divide. those who were able to establish themselves and get to a certain place in their career before the economic gauntlet came down versus those of us who have only known tough times in the field. Now that communities are advertising for planning directors at $34k to start (no joke), $70k sounds like a luxurious and unattainable dream.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I went on one which was like interviewing for the CIA. They kept asking questions like "Can you keep a secret?" and talking about how discretion is so important. I didn't get offered the job but it made me ask what I was getting myself into.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I have had a few really bad interviews.
    One of the most memorable was at McD's I had been unemployed for a while and I needed something. The owner kept asking me why I thought I could be a manager there. I didn't have any experience. I needed to make sure that I didn't eat there everyday because I would get fatter. (He was at least 100 pounds heavier than me.
    What did I think I would do if a bus came in at lunch rush? This crap went on for an hour. I still dont know why I didn't just get up and leave. I calmly answered all his questions the best I could.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Quote Originally posted by Queen B View post
    I have had a few really bad interviews.
    One of the most memorable was at McD's I had been unemployed for a while and I needed something. The owner kept asking me why I thought I could be a manager there. I didn't have any experience. I needed to make sure that I didn't eat there everyday because I would get fatter. (He was at least 100 pounds heavier than me.
    What did I think I would do if a bus came in at lunch rush? This crap went on for an hour. I still dont know why I didn't just get up and leave. I calmly answered all his questions the best I could.
    Why would you apply for a managerial job in an establishment you knew nothing about? Is it "crap" that he would expect you to know how to handle that kind of situation?

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Why are AICP/APA dues insane?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 55
    Last post: 19 Apr 2011, 4:55 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 Dec 2006, 8:41 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 08 Dec 2005, 10:42 PM
  4. Insane sports groupies (men)