Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

Closed thread

Thread: Introduction & New Member from NOTyouraveragejo

Registered
    Aug 2011

Introduction & New Member from NOTyouraveragejo

Hello,

I stumbled upon your forum and I found it interesting especially because I am very concerned about my educational pursuits and I hope experienced members might be able to provide insightful advice so here goes my questions and I welcome your advice:

As a non-traditional returning student in a Junior level attending a Florida University in a college that provides a degree in Urban Planning (although the college name does not indicate such), I am asking the members the following questions:

#1. Are all urban planning programs created equally?
    #2. IS an Urban Planner more marketable than an Urban Designer and in this economy which would you pursue?
    #3. Is it typical for a college w/i a large university to hire adjuncts that have virtually no teaching background as the main source of educators for students in this field?
    #4. Are colleges w/i universities creating "fluff" courses to generate income for universities because they lack Professors to teach the required courses and/or so the amount of credit hours are extended?

I will thank you in advance for your opinions/advice.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Welcome from the Great State of Ohio! Please take a look around, especially at the Student Forum. If you ask your question there you might get more feedback.

Welcome though, and please join in.

Quote Originally posted by NOTyouraveragejo
    #1. Are all urban planning programs created equally? No
    #2. IS an Urban Planner more marketable than an Urban Designer and in this economy which would you pursue? It depends on what you want to do with your degree. Nothing is exactly "marketable" right now.
    #3. Is it typical for a college w/i a large university to hire adjuncts that have virtually no teaching background as the main source of educators for students in this field? Yes and no. Most schools have professors and adjuncts that serve different purposes. Good schools have both. Not so great schools have one or the other.
    #4. Are colleges w/i universities creating "fluff" courses to generate income for universities because they lack Professors to teach the required courses and/or so the amount of credit hours are extended? Most college courses are "fluff". Take what interests you. It is only fluff if you don't enjoy the course material.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2011

Thank you and Would you expound?

Are you a planner or designer? What schools do you recommend? Your help is appreciated. Thanks!
    NOTyouraveragejo

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Greetings from northwest Florida, Nyaj.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Aug 2011

HMM?

HMM? I am not sure what your point was. Do you know?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Hello from NY!

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Introduction
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 02 Jul 2013, 9:41 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 17 Jul 2012, 2:05 PM
  3. Introduction - new member